Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

starter / generator

cadman

Does anybody have any drawings or info on how to rebuild the Landlord starter/generator. Or at least bearing numbers and brush part numbers.

If it is a delco starter any old motor's manual will tell you.!955-1962 all General Motors.The brains of the starter generator system is not the generator but the starter switch.I have rebuilt GM many,many generators and there is always one problem.Separating the armature fromt the front bearing housing.I have seen on numerous occassions the plate would crack and the threads crush and the shaft still wouldn't pull out of the nose bearing so be careful.If it were me I would leave it alone unless it is known to be bad.Clean the commutator will a fine sand paper and a dental type pick to clean between copper.Make sure all the wires aren't broken and the composite washers are good.Put on new brushes and be done.Unless you have a growler you really can't check the armature so you have to take your chances.If the armature is bad you'll need an exchange unit.So for $3.00 worth of brushes and about an hours time you can take the gamble.If you need a generator go to a local car show swap meet there probably be a couple there.

Hi, If you can't find anyone local, let me know. I don't know where you are but we have things like this sent to us all the time. We do all types of starter, generator and alternator work and stock parts for these units. There are some articles I have written on these units in the tech section of this site, and in the tech notes at our edensltd.com site. Al Eden

Thanks Patrician12 for the info. It does look like a Delco-Remy starter, the one that is on my Landlord has the little lube caps on the bearing ends but they are plugged and have not been able to clear them out. The bearings are very noisy and am concerned that they will seize before the summer is over. If it seems like the front cover wont come off maybe I'll try running a long thin drill bit by hand through the bearing oil openings. Can any Delco generator of the same size be used as a generator and starter?

Hi, If you don't find someone locally to fix it, and you want to ship it we fix all types of starters, generators and alternators. We stock parts for these units and new units also. If you are interested I wrote some articles for these units and the associated regulators. You can find them in [I think] the tech section on this site, or they are in the Tech Notes section of our web site edensltd.com. Good luck, Al Eden

GM only made 2 generators to my knowledge,a 30 amp and a 42 amp.The 42 amp is much longer it was for air conditioned cars.I tell you sometimes getting that front plate off is a horror.

The Delco starter-generator made for for air cooled engines is kind of unique. They contain, I think a third winding just for starting and their output is about ten to fifteen amps. The unit is sealed so the output has to be low as there is no cooling fan and the barrel has to shed the heat by convection. I think there are still conversion parts still available to convert the DE and CE frame to ball bearings. From the few that I have taken apart the DE side has a ball bearing, and the CE side was either bronze or ball bearing. I get my parts from a rebuilder here where I live and in the summer season, parts and rebuilding them is still a viable activity for them.