Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MadMike

300421 - Revised - Again

MadMike
Well, Made the decision to pull the engine out to make sure nothing was installed wrong, wires wern't pinched, etc. Everything seemed fine. Looked at the isolated mounting screw for the Armature lead and thought that maybe it wasn't isolated anymore so I took that out of the equation. Put back together what I needed to to test it and darn it all if it still wouldn't start. Again used my finger on the spark plug connector to check for spark, uncomfortable so a spark should be there. At this point I'm about ready to pull my hair out so I decided to get the Ignition Module out of there and rehooked up the points and condensor, 15 minute job. Wired it all in and still no start, put my finger on the spark plug connector and holy cow that hurt. Got out the starter fluid and low and behold, it runs again. Did the necessary adjustments and it just purrs like a Kitten. Finally!! Thanks to all who have helped, especially thedaddycat and Rays for the carburator pictures and advice. Thanks also to almost everyone here since I get so much advice just from reading everyone elses posts on a daily basis. What an incredible website!!! Of course had to try out the cultivators, dozer blade, and such. All work very well. Was actually very suprised how well the narrow teeth on the cultivator dig in, probably got about 5 inches of penatration after a few passes. Took the spring tooth cultivator and adjusted the tines rather close together and I now have a narrow York Rake. The only problem is I should have taken pictures before as now my 2012 is covered with dust. Thanks again for all of your help. MadMike

HubbardRA
Mike, I am one of the few who likes having the points and condenser. This primarily because they are on the outside of the engine and easy to get to. I don't mind cleaning and re-setting points, or replacing them once-in-a-while. I don't like pulling an engine and removing a flywheel to work on an ignition. This is why all of my current tractor engines have battery ignitions. I am putting together a 12 Hp B/S and if the mag doesn't work on it, a Kohler coil will be hooked to the points and condenser. My opinion, and what works for me.

stumpy
Rod & Mike, Congrats on the success. I agree on the points/condenser/coil issue. Pulling a flywheel is one of my least favorite activities, particularly if it done to rectify an ignition problem. I don't even bother with a Kohler coil...usually just find a small junkyard coil off some rig, as long as it is internally ballasted. Also usually end up mounting the condenser on the coil...works fine that way and that's one less thing crammed under the points cover getting in the way when I need to adjust things.

HubbardRA
Stumpy, I ran a motorcycle coil of a B/S for several years. Only reason that I tell everyone to get a Kohler coil is because of the internal ballast. If they use an automobile coil without an external ballast, the points will not last long, then they will be bad mouthing this type of setup. I hate it when someone bad mouths a good working design only because they hooked it up wrong.