Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rear engine riders

rokon2813

are the old Simp and A/C rear engine riders worth messing with? Anybody collect these or have they fallen by the wayside?

I don't have any yet, but only because I haven't found any close enough. I'm sure some people collect them too. I would love to find a Wonderboy rear engine rider or two or...:D:D

I know where one is just up the road, problem is that it's still in use every year..... When I first noticed it a year ago, it was up by the road with a plastic sled over it. I was waiting for a day when someone was home but no luck. It almost looked like it never moved, except the grass was still getting cut every week. Then one day I saw that they used it to cut the grass, not a bigger tractor!!! One of these days I'll stop by and hopefully have a chat with the owner....

I used an AC Scamp rear engine with an 8 hp Briggs for years. I parked it when the engine went and have been scavenging tires and a few other parts off of it for other projects. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the same versatility as tractors and around our farm the pieces of equipment that can do more than one job if needed tend to get priority treatment. The 30 inch cut was also a drawback for our place. It really should be fixed up since the transmission on it is cast iron and heavier duty than some of the big 20 hp garden tractors on the market today. It never gave me a problem other than the tired engine. Too many projects, too little time.

I have a 1962 Wonder Boy I use all year round, Grass cutting and believe it or not snow plowing.Its really a neat pice of equiptment.

I have a 1959 575 joystick wonderboy that I restored about 2 years ago. It is all original it has a 30" reel mower deck , 24" rotary deck, A 32" rotary deck and a 30" plow. It also has electric start. It is, I think, A grate little tractor.:D

Cool guys thanks for all the replys. I know now not to pass on another one.