Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Center arbor on 48" two bolt deck

Charlieson

I have a 48" deck. The center arbor went out last summer and when I went to replace it, the shaft was welded fast. I just got around to getting the parts to fix it and I ground off the weld and started to put everything back together. The parts breakdown shows a small washer, then a big washer on the bottom side of the bearings, and at top it shows two small and then the large washer. when I put everything together according to the parts breakdown and put the top pulley on, the top pulley covers the shaft threads. Is the nut supposed to go on top of this pulley or inside it? It will fit inside, but it doesnt seem like the three allen bolts would be enough to hold everything together. If anyone has one of these older decks (man. # 886) could you look and see how yours is? I cant figure out what I am putting together wrong. I bought the tube assembly as one piece. It should go together fairly easily. ddh

I dont have that man.# but I have 2 decks that style and the nut is down inside the pulley on both of them so the 3 allen bolts must be enough.

Hey thanks. Thats how I put it together. Doesnt look like the IPB, but that is the only way it will go together. My other deck is the one bolt style. ddh