Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another Reason Why Newer Tractors Suck

pacodiablo

Electrical wires...lots of 'em. I yanked the whole elec. system out of the MTD today. What a mess. Dried up grass in the connections, nasty old elec. tape, etc... I hope I can figure out how it all goes back in. I know that when I do put it back in, I will not use nearly as much electrical tape as was originally used. That stuff makes a mess. On a good note, I found some awesome cleaner, ate the carbon up like it was nothing at all. Will post the name of it later. It is alunimum safe.

Well, lets face it, newer tractors of all brands probably have 10x more wires than any B1. Especially the brand new ones with digital hour meters and what not.

I got an MTD with the house I just purchased. I also got a 69 Simplicity Sovereign. I love them both. One does the hard labor and the other one cuts the grass. I harbor no grudges toward the stamped frame tractors, if they can excite someone to pick up a wrench and get dirty, and learn something, then I guess thats a great start. Looking for a mower deck for a 3012 sovereign so that the simplicity can do ALL the work:D Have a 46" Dozer/Plow blade or Grader Blade attachment to trade. Cheers, Bob

I like the tractor. Just not the electrical system. LOL. I found a diagram that is close to that of my tractor in my manual. So it should not be too hard to put back. Also, does the electrical tape serve any purpose other than organizing the wires?

• 3 weeks later...
The purpose is to organize the wires and keep them where they should be. Having a wire landing on a hot muffler is a pain. If you do a good job of wiring, including taping the harness, it will be a thing of beauty.

Alan-a suggestion; invest in a "number roll" with narrow bands of white tape with each number on a separate little roll.Unless all the colors are a perfect match,you will save time by figuring out what goes where and it's corresponding color on your new wiring harness and numbering both sets when there is any doubt.Colors that are similar in feeds,returns,neutrals and misc.colors for relays and such can be very confusing[:0]Also,I prefer plastic wire ties and like to bundle in different colors according to their relation to the whole system wherever possible,then wipe everything down with alcohol or similar cleaner before any final taping to keep it clean and prevent tape messes down the road.Hope this helps;)(keep that continuity tester handy!).Charlie

Local NAPA here sells a plastic flex hose that is split for wire harness's, ie trailer wires. Seems to hold up, a few plastic ties keeps it together..Doesn't get sticky like tape after oil gets on it...MPH

shrink wrap tubing, soldered joints, flex wrap tubing, wire ties, looks better after a few days as well . anything but plastic tape!!!! oil,gas and dirt love plastic tape making a mess of everything,

On a good note, I found some awesome cleaner, ate the carbon up like it was nothing at all. Will post the name of it later. It is alunimum safe. And the name of this miracle solution would be ? TIA, LC