Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

312Dave

AC 312 / Kohler 12hp

312Dave
Hello, I found this site recently and have really enjoyed browsing. I am the new owner of a 1971 ( I think) AC 312. After a good cleaning, drive belt change + adjustment and fuel system cleaning It is running preaty good. My question is on the Kohler engine. The oil indicated about 1/2 way between the hash marks - L + F. I added a multi grade 10w-40 to bring it to the F mark with the engine cold. When running the engine more than a few minutes oil comes out of the crankcase breather screen.( not the air filter) and runs down the block. The oil doesn't indicate over full. Could the dip stick be wrong? How much oil should be in the engine? Does the engine have something wrong and is pressurizing the crankcase. Any idea's?

IronPony
Welcome to the club/forum. First, the correct oil is 30w during warm weather. Second, are you sure the right dip stick came with the tractor because it sure sounds like an over full crank case? You might try draining the oil out and replacing with 2 qts of 30w. I think the Kohler K301 12hp capacity is 2 qts. Then check the dip stick and see what it reads. Small air cooled engines run a lot hotter than auto engines and use the heavy single weight oil. Dan

312Dave
quote:
Originally posted by howlanddm
Welcome to the club/forum. First, the correct oil is 30w during warm weather. Second, are you sure the right dip stick came with the tractor because it sure sounds like an over full crank case? You might try draining the oil out and replacing with 2 qts of 30w. I think the Kohler K301 12hp capacity is 2 qts. Then check the dip stick and see what it reads. Small air cooled engines run a lot hotter than auto engines and use the heavy single weight oil. Dan

IronPony
If you can post the numbers off the engine, it can be checked to make sure of the crank case capacity. A standard K301 is 2 qts while the K301A is only one (1)qt. The "A's" are used on the Deers and other "off brand"LOL tractors. My AC712 uses the K301S. My copy of the Kohler K series engine owners manual shows these capacities. Dan

312Dave
Thanks Dan, I found out the problem last night. The fuel pump gasket was leaking. The oil spray was straight up making it appear that the oil was coming from the breather. All is well now. Thanks fro teh help.