Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Getting to bolts...

pacodiablo

What is a good way to get to the bolts that hold the engine in place? The heads of the bolts are under the tractor and I need a way to lift it up. The front axle is already off, I just need some suggestions for getting it higher off the ground. What have you guys done to get under the tractor?

DO you have a level working area? Do you have or can you get some Jackstands to support the whight of the front? DO NOT USE ONLY A JACK FOR SUPPORT!!!!!!! I bought a mack brand rollaround jack 2 1/4 ton with a pair of jackstands , a pair of foldup wheel chocks , and a 4 way lug wrench for $30 on sale regular price $40 at Wal-mart To me they seem like they would be a handy size for lawn tractors. SAFTY FIRST!!!

Even with jackstands and wheel chocks, if you start reefin on those bolts, you keep your body out from under. I usually jack mine up, support the front on a stable platform and then kneel next to the tractor and reach underneath. It's easy when pulling hard on a wrench to slide the tractor off a jack or stand. If your body is out of the way, only the tractor gets hurt. ;) Steve

I made a redneck jackstand out of cinder blocks and plywood...worked great. LOL.

Some jobs can not be done from the side. I had to get under a AC 410 to change the steering collum. We put the tractors front wheels in the open web of half a cinder block on both sides This allowed me enough room to get under to the bolts. Then bring it out the bottom. Replacement was reverse of above. If you must go under extra care should be taken. If you don't have someone there with you then befor you start tell someone have them check on you. And let them know when you are done and safe.

I made sure the tractor was secure. The blocks were sturdy and the plywood was thick.

I like to use a chain hoist to lift a tractor then put stands under it.When it's time to pull something out from under it ,then move the stands and you have open territory to slide things outto the side or front. Just make sure that your beam is strong enuf to hold the hoist and tractor.......