Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

grayford

Started tear down

grayford
I started tear down of my B-110, started with the motor and found one bolt and two screws borken in the block. Bolt was to the bracket for the starter, hard to belive it was being held by one bolt and the adjustment arm. The screw were for the points cover as when i recieved the tractor, it was'nt on, just sitting in the space were the motor mounted too. Then i proceeded to tear rest of tractor apart, and have it down to four pieces..back end, front end, the stearing section and batery section. Dam i hope i can get this thing back together!I took pictures as i went along, and hope to upload soon. So from all this work i have a few question. A. how do you get those daggone bolts and screws out of the block, when the is nothing to grab hold of. B. Any one just ship the main conpoinets to a paint stripper who has a large tank to just dip it in, part are not all that big. and be fairly quick at stripping for a nice pain job C should i go ahead and have the starter rebuild even if it was working before tear down? Thanks in advance. BTW, i have been reading most of the info on this site, and learned quite alot. I love the site and the work that has gone into it The B-110 i'm working on used to be My uncles and i can remeber him using all of the attachments at one time or another. In obtaining the tractor years after he had passed away, i could not find all of the things he had, such as the winter cab for when he used the snowblower, or the covers for the mower deck and belt cover for the snowblower and the take off for mower deck for hose attachment to leaf vac. You guys have inspired me o tear this down in honor of my uncle..i Hope to make him proud, even if it will take me two years to finish Darryl:) Darryl

cougar
A. drill and ez out. carefully drill center of broken bolt with small drill bit at first. Then use a larger drill bit to fit ez out. Might start by soaking with something like PB Buster. b. I soak all the parts I can in a five gallon can of carb cleaner(costing me about $70.00 in my area)This will strip the paint and oil off. Then use angle grinder with wire brush to get the reminder off. c. Since it cost me about $100.00 to rebuild the starter/gen I would use it until it stop recharging the battery, or starting the engine, Unless the bearings are bad