Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Sump Won't Come Off

pacodiablo

I got the engine out of the tractor (a pain because of the belts) and took all of the bolts off the oil sump. I tried to take off the pully, but could not because I could not get the bolt to move without turing the pully which turned the piston. What can I do to get the oil sump off? What is it sticking on?

You need to get the pulley off first before sump cover will come off. Holding the pulley either with a strap wrench or a pipe wrench on the narrow part, you should get bolt to loosen on the crankshaft. Then try tapping down the pulley (not on the grooves)to get it to slide off. You might also have to heat it up to get it off. Then getting sump cover off is a breeze. A few taps all around will loosen cover.

If ya want to save the pulley, then use a Large Bearing Splitter behind the pulley than hook your Puller onto that...off like a breeze (most of the time)

What type of puller do I need? I tried using a strap wrench and socket wrench to get the bolt of but the thing will not move. I looked in the manual, which did not help..."remove the pully" - yeah, that helps a lot.