Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Water in carb

gretsch

This is puzzling me somewhat. We went to spend the weekend with some of my family and my Mom asked me if I could try to fix my Grandma's push-mower (Murray with electric start) which is only about two years old. It would start fine but die after about 15 seconds. It would do the same thing repeatedly. It has a Briggs engine without a choke or throttle speed control which I thought was weird for a push-mower. It does have a primer bulb. Pushing the primer bulb caused what looked like to be water to ooze out of the carb body (with the air filter off). Upon taking the carb apart the bowl was filled with almost completely water with just a little gas detectable (wouldn't burn off the tip of my knife but would let the mower run for 15 seconds????). Upon checking the gas in the tank and also her gas can I found no traces of water. Hooked everything back up and it ran fine and mower her entire yard with no problem. The mower had been running fine until the last time she tried to mow and that was when it began exibiting this problem.My question is: How could the carb bowl become full of water? The mower is kept in a garage and is not left out in the rain. Anyone else on here have this experience or any ideas of what could have caused it?

It could have come from condesation in the gas can or the gas tank. Water will settle to the bottom of the gas tank and then get drawn in to and get traped in the fuel bowl

She mentioned washing it off every now and then with a hose but I am not sure how it is vented. The gas cap lid tightens securely and it is not vented like tractor gas caps.

• 2 weeks later...
I would go with the water either getting into the gas tank or maybe into the air filter. Some of these units draw air through the flywheel shroud. Maybe that is how it is sneaking in.

I have had trouble with water being in the gas from the pump at some stations. It will accumulate as the engine is operated, since the gas floats on top. She may have bought new gas before the problem surfaced. That could be why the gas in the tank and the can don't have any water.