Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

wwfluid vs antifreeze

dav
I have seen several members type that they use windshield washer fluid in their tires for weight. Is there an advantage to ww fluid over antifreeze? I understand the logic of using the liquid for weight and it is easy to obtain and wont freeze in the winter. And ww fluid costs less per gallon(but a gallon of antifreeze can be diluted to make more than one gallon but I dont think wwf can be.) I ask because I can get used antifreeze at the gravel pit I work in and if it doesnt matter, then I'll go for what's free! Also, tomorrow I will be putting a set of atv tires on my spare rims. The rims were on the ground where I picked up my snowblower so I bought them too. The tires were at the dump-in good condition but only three of them. Having read the posts about barlug tires-and the prices- I decided that, having exactly no experience with the tractor yet, I will try the free way to learn and then maybe-just maybe- I'll buy some ag tires. Which leads to the last question I have about tires. How full do you fill them with wwf/antifreeze?

Ishmael2k
As to the difference between the two, anti-freeze is heavier but tends to corrode your rims. If you have tubes installed then I'd go for the free anti-freeze. NAPA sells an adapter that screws onto the valve stem and allows you to fill your rims that way. If you do a search under wwf or filled tires there are quite a few threads on this. :)

Kent
I've never tried regular antifreeze. Since I buy my WW antifreeze at Wally World for 99 cents a gallon, it costs me $12 to load a set of 23 X 8.50 X 12 rears -- tubeless. The WW antifreeze isn't as toxic as regular automotive antifreeze (dogs and cats like the sweet taste) should you get a leak...

rokon2813
Dave Since Kent is doind 23-12's for $12 at 99cents a gallon I'd guess he is using 12 gallons or 6 per tire. your tires are a little bigger, probly 1 more gallon would do it so Im guessing you need 13 gallons.

Dave-Saratoga
yeah, go ahead and take a swipe at my math skill - lol okay smart guy, what's antifreeze going for these days and how much is it going to cost me to put in my tires? wait, isn't that the jeopardy theme i hear?

rokon2813
Nothing against your math skill. lol I'm just guessing having never done it before I dont know if there is something else needed so he might have bought 6 gallons of anti freeze and a $6 something. I cant think of anything else you might need but who knows??

Kent
I've been putting right around 6 gallons each in 23 X 8.50 X 12s, as Dan calculated. I paid about $10 for the NAPA tool a while back, but didn't even use it on the last pair. They were freshly mounted, so I just carefully broke the bead seal, poured it and reinflated the tires...

Al
Hi, We used to use anti freeze tubless. I thought it was the cats meow. About 3 years later the tires would get all distorted and get like tumors on them. The antifreeze seems to loosen the cords from the rubber and they start to look like a humpback. The treads would get wavy sidewise. Since this experience, we have gone to w washer fluid, no problems. This is what Simplicity recommended when we were trying everything to get a little more traction for the Sun Runners for mowing hills. We left antifreeze in about 1998. My 2 cents worth and it is free value accordingly. Al Eden