Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Removeing Electric Clutch, How ?

EZDUZIT

I cant seem to remove an electric clutch assembely off the shaft of a 12 HP Briggs.I know its real simple,but I have forgotten how I got the last one off.Can someone direct me to the right place or describe the process.Im haveing a hell of a time,and it wont budge.

What kind of tractor? What type electric clutch? What kind of problem are you having? They just unbolt and slide off the crankshaft. If the bearing is rusted to the shaft, try using penetrating oil before you use a puller, hammer, or torch.

Dutch,Thanks for your reply. It is a 12hp Kohler I cant find a bolt anywhere.It s in a 1971 Wheel Horse,charger 10,but I know that it has been replaced with this motor. Its a large brass looking thing.Prior owner burned the wires going internal to the magnets,and then bolted cluth plate to the drive plate,blades run all the time,even when starting up.I thought I remember reading that there was some kind of internal release to push or pull to release it from the shaft.He said that he had a friend replace the motor and swapped the cluth over,after having a sleeve made for thr 12 horse as it was a smaller shaft then the 10 horse Briggs that blew up.Its a mess but I need the motor for my Simplicity 3212V.I dont see a name or a brand on the assembly. Should I start with a sawzall? Also if some one would tell me,will this 12 Kohler bolt up to my machine with little adaption?? It had a 12 Briggs when it was built.

Pete, I found a K241 that came from a wheel horse and put it in a 7010. Just add the driveshaft adapter, that's it. Of course the front pto won't fit and the oil drain is different. Steve

Dadsy98. Thank you . It looks like the Kohler motors crankshaft does not extend out as far as the Briggs does,which means that the center of the adapter will not go on the keyed shaft.Will the adapter hold as strong without going on the shaft? Also the bolt sizes are smaller in the Kohler flywheel then the Briggs,is this going to create a problem?Should I try to find spacers that will make up the difference going through the adapter?In other words the inside of the adapter holes going into the Kohler flywheel are larger then the holes required for the Briggs.Has anyone else done this conversion?Although I dont think Simplicity offered the Kohler as an option in 1970,I am pretty excited.I still cant find a bolt or setscrew to remove the electric clutch setup.( Please read my other post asking for help removing the electric clutch assembly )I will start this swap Suday.Thanks Again.