Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NEED HELP

I agree, if you plan to do anything more than mowing or snow removal, you would get a lot more for your money with a Ford 8N, Massey-Furgeson TO-20; Farmall A, B, or C; or an A-C model B or C. The Oliver 55 or 550 is the same size as the Ford, but parts would be harder to get. The Ford and Massey have 3 point hitch. The Farmalls and A-Cs are frequently are found with belly mowers, some with hydraulics. All of these tractors are constructed almost entirely of cast iron, and should last a long time. Parts are also readily available, as well as a lot of internet help.

I live in Colorado and I'm looking at buying a small farm tractor. There is a man out here that has a simplicity w/loader,3pt and pto. I couldn't get the pto to engage (we were not sure how it worked, me or the guy selling). He is not sure of model. The only thing I couyld find was a ID# 954002676, pow"r max. He wants 4250.00 I think that is way too much. Can anyone help me with this tractor. manuals, what is it worth etc,etc. any help would be great

Terry, Just my opinion but I would not buy a Simplicity for a small farm tractor. They are garden tractors and even the larger models are just bigger garden tractors. You could buy a real farm tractor for the same or less money than what is being asked for that Simplicity. Those Onan engines just will not last like a liquid cooled 4 cyl engine or 2 cyl in the case of an old Deere. Tim

The PTO on the PowerMax is electronic. Look for a switch on the panel. That number must be the serial, look for the 7 digit product number and use the cross reference here. Also what do you plan to do with it may determine the tractor you buy. You won't find many loaders on classics like Ford 8N, Massey-Furgeson TO-20; Farmall A, B, or C; or an A-C model B or C. And forget about rototilling, antiques just don't have the gears to deal with it like modern tractors can. But I'm convinced they will be running long after we're gone. And after you've finished your work you can take it to a tractor show. You didn't mention a mower deck, they were usually 60". That price is higher because of the loader (supply and demand). And the 3-point hitch is Catagory "O". So don't plan on using it with standard Catagory "I" attactments. My experience with that engine wasn't good. Our church had a AC-620/PowerMax, we had to pass the plate every time it broke down. But it could mow like nothing I've seen, we've got 5 acres there. I assume you were attracted to that tractor because of the loader. In that case you'll want front wheel drive and power steering for sure. Once you've experience the difference you'll never go back. Also you'll want a quick-attach loader. Old tractors can't remove the loader without major work. The Compact tractor class (20 to 40hp) has lots of manufacturer's now, and most build a quality product. Shop around, find a dealer close for service and parts. Use the internet, you may find it there. It would be better to spend a little more and get what you need. Notice how I didn't use the "K" word. Good Luck [A href='http://www.simplicitymfg.com/Garden/Legacy.htm'][img src='http://www.simplicitymfg.com/Art/Attachments/FrontLoader.jpg'][/a]

Here in eastern PA loaders are not that hard to find for Ford 8n/9n, Farmalls or even ACs. I've seen the tractors for sale with loaders and also just the loaders for sale. These older tractor are on the average priced very reasonable. A later model compact would be nice but they are higher priced. Tim