Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigcountry

opinion

bigcountry
I've been riding past this gas station on the main drag here at home and I've been seeing a Honda lawn tractor behind all the old cars. I went by the other day and asked about it and the man said that the owner of it was in jail for 30 days, so I told him I'd come back at the end of this month. The reason I'm interested in it is because I think it is a Inline 2 cylinder gas and I like that better than a V-twin style for some reason. I am anticipating some high parts cost because we used to have a Honda until we got a John Deere (before my Simplicity's time), to replace that starter, it cost $500, for the starter and labor since they had to completely lift the engine off the frame to do it. The tractor is in ok shape, the seat looks bad and the paint is rough, but it is complete. I am wondering how much I should offer him, when he's out of jail??

Leroy
I would anticipate high costs too. The 1972 Honda 600 wheel cylider costed 100.00 each. I was afraid to ask about the knob for the radio. The diameter of that dood was 2 inches. and it was just for a 8 inch wheel . I am talking a car here . But it was a Honda.

Scotmo
I have a Honda 3013 mower that is sitting in the garage. It always ran fine(lots of power) but nickle and dimed me to death. Lots of electrical problems mostly the the result of dirty contacts or loose connections. They took more time than money to find and fix.Pure aggrevation is the reason it has sat in the garage for the past two years. Save your money and stick with Simplicity IMHO! Whatever you decide I wish you well.....Scot

bigcountry
Well, I'm sensing a good deal, just hope it's not hot. I am familiar with the Honda riders since I used to have a 3810, until about 3 years ago, when I got a John Deere. I do know where I can get parts, and now I have the tools and the resources (school shop) to do repairs and "modifications" to it, if bad comes to worse, then I can make a 'Frankenmower' out of it. You know, take out the Honda and drop in a good ol' Briggs and Stratton in it.