Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

another oil on engine related question

Nick

My 3.5 HP B&S on push mower seems to be leaking oil from under the flywheel. Is there any gaskets under there? For some reason I can't download a PDF copy from B&S to verify. So that's why I am posting the question here.

A main crankshaft seal is under the flywheel. That could be leaking. The only other place would depend on the age of the engine. If the engine has a point type ignition system, the points plunger or the hole for the plunger could be worn. As to the plunger, it's a pretty easy replacement. Remove the flywheel, point cover and points, slide the plunger out and replace. If it's the plunger bore, you have to tear the engine apart to remove the crankshaft, rebore the hole and install a bushing. Would be a lot easier and cheaper to convert to Magnetron and plug the hole. If the engine originally had points and was converted to Magnetron, the points and plunger may have been left in the engine to close the hole. In that case, it could still be a worn plunger or hole. If it was converted and the plug was installed, but improperly, it could have fallen out. Pat

It's a 1971 with the point type ignition system, always starts on the first or second pull. Also, the bolt hole that holds the pull cord and gas tank is stripped, so it is currently being held on by Duct tape. I am thinking of just junking it.

If the mower and engine are otherwise in good shape, I wouldn't junk it. None of the repairs for this problem are complicated or require special tools, with the exception of reboring and bushing the plunger bore, and installing Magnetron is a better alternative for that repair. If it's the seal, that's about $2.50. If it's the plunger, about $1.50. If it's the plunger bore, a Magnetron unit for your coil and the plug for the plunger bore will total about $15.00. Shouldn't take you more than 1/2 hour to do any of the above repairs. Pat

For the stripped hole, take it to your local repair shop and have them install a Heli-coil thread insert. Shouldn't cost more than $5.00 or so. Walla....no more duct tape!