Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hydraulic quick coupler question

schaefer72

hi - a quick question for all the hydraulic experts - i want to attach some quick disconnects on my powermax 4041 loader and pump - similar to what you would find on a air compressor - called around and all the local shops wanted about $40-50 bucks per pair - seems really high - would these from northern tool work ? - they are cheap ! - and seem to be what i want - called break away couplers - are they any good - has anyone used them - im not interested in spending alot - just something that will work - thanks alot Hydraulic Break-Away Couplers Use one size larger than hose to prevent restriction. Not for use on the suction line of our 2-stage pumps. [img]http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/50C8_lg.jpg[/img]

I think those should work ok for you. The important thing is that they are hydraulic couplers with a maximum psi rating and that the rating is more than what your hydraulic system puts out. I don't know off hand what a power max has for a hydraulic relief valve setting but I'm guessing it's under 2000psi.

They will work, but be aware, that like air hoses, there are several different styles of couplers. For hydraulics, at least in this part of the country, Pioneer couplers are the most common. The Pioneer style will not accept a John Deere coupler, for example. If you are using the couplers only for the loader that will be fine. If you are planning on hooking up other hydraulic attachments to the outlets, you will need to purchase the corresponding ends for those attachments also. Pat

Went through the same thing on my tractors. Couldn't find couplers to match the ones on the tractors so i purchased new male & female connectors to match. They are for 1/4" line and the same as they use on the snowplows for pickups. Can't remember what they cost but not 40+. I'm useing them to lift my cultivators with a 8"x2" cylinders. Works great just with the hydraulics from the tractor. Plumbed the hoses to the front couplers and leave them on all the time and have the quick disconnects behind the seat. Basicaly it is like the big farm tractors. I could get you the part numbers if you want?