Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

deck belt # in Gates for 42" mower

G.Kiebler

Does anyone have a Gates # handy for a 42" mower deck belt that goes on a 101 landlord. mine is almost shot,kinda looks like a cog belt now.

You should replace it with an OEM Simplicity belt unless you like replaceing belts and spending money. The Gates belts will not last. From the Voice of experence. If you get a Gates belt on a Simplicty mower to last long enough to finish mowing you are lucky. All so the gates belts do not come in the exact lengths as specified by Simplicity 42" rotary mower Cross drive Belt# 174911 Length 44.1" Type HA Arbor drive Belt# 108209 Length 82.1" type HA

Right again Maynard, I went through two Gates cross drive belts on my 64 landlord, didn't even get the lawn mowed twice....:( finally wised up and went with OEM belts, end of problem...^8D

yea i tried a napa belt when i first got my 716 lasted one mowing/got an oem/been on there 2yrs/i mow about 2acres/AL

I would go with a simplicity belt. I was told by a guy at a hardware store that the off brand belts will not hold up to the original manufacturer. He said the the off brands do not have kevlar in them. The original belts have kevlar and that is one reason for the higher costs. He told me that and he lost a sale (because I did not buy the gates replacement) but he gained my trust. JH

Even the aftermarket Kevlar belts will not stand up to a Simplicity belt. The Simplicity belts do not contain Kevlar they contain Aramid Fiber cords.

I have never had any luck with non-oem belts. The brother figured he would test fate and put a NAPA on the deck arbor drive on a 42" 712 Allis. Turned and twisted 1st mowing. Spent the $ at the Simplicity store, problem solved!

Also if you look at the length of the simplicity oem belts they are always some oddball lenght, like 85.1" or 48.3". An 85" belt is a little too short and an 85.5 or 86 is a little too long. Causes the belts to wear a lot faster. ddh

Geeze guys, Maybe I pray harder, or I have less demanding 8 and 11 Hp tractors, and smaller 36" decks. I would like to use only Simplicity belts (the Mercedes of belts that lasts longer and are cheaper in the end) But, limited funds are always, 1st allocated for Simplicity tractors, USA proudly made. That end first. I'll get the S-belts when funds allow. In the meantime, my low HP fleet's been running ok for 20 years, on NAPA belts. A sin, unfortunately I'll live with, until I stop buying so many tractors. Maybe, until after I find that AC big boy, or '64-67 Landlord. A

At issue is the backing on the belt, or lack of on a lot of belts. Look at the profile on the back of a Simplicity belt vs. the others and you'll see the Simplicity has a thick concave back, designed to hold up to belt idler use.

I have found (the hard way sometimes) OEM Simplicity belts are the only way to go for me. If you are going to take the time and effort to change a belt if it is at all in the budget go OEM....IMHO....Scot

You may be on to something JL Those latter decks have belt brakes, which wear the belt. And the brakes put an amazing amount of pressure on the belt. Try holding one away from the belt from the side of the deck! Early Broadmoors didn't have this addition burden on the belt. A