Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tachometer Wiring

KSever

Since I'm no electrical mechanic I'm going to ask a question on something I've never had to do YET. I have a 12 volt Tachometer for my AC 314 and I believe the hot wire connects to the coil? Am I correct? But what terminal does it connect to? I have looked through my service manual for the 300-400 series and this tractor even has the knockout hole in the dash for the tach but nowhere on the diagram does it show this. Thanks, Kris

It should go to the Ign side. The side that goes to the points - side. To be sure take a test light and test each side of coil with key on cranking the engine. On the key + side the light should be steady. On the points - side the light will flash. Attach it to the side that flashes.

When I put the tinytac on my 4040 I went to the pos side of the coil..What kind of tac did you find???Still lookin for a dial style tac for all my tractors...MPH

Got a 3 1/4" dial tach that was used for the AC314, but it is used and had no wiring diagram so I just had to ask. Thanks Maynard and Marty.