Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

powermax=low boy cub?

patrician12

I would love to to find a powermax in my area but this seems after 2 years to be an impossibilty.Then I thought of a Chinese tractor,but that just doesn't seem right.One member suggested a Kubota.This definitely seems like a great alternative.Then on ebay I see all of a sudden a slew of IH low boy cubs.There are even a couple for sale in my area besides what I saw on ebay.It is absolutely the perfect size for me.I believe they have 4 cylinder engines.Here is what I want to know.Are they any good?{Looking at them they look pretty hefty}.Are parts available?Does it have category 1 3 pt hitch?What is the horsepower?Thanks

My uncle has one and they are built hevy his has a 4 clynder watercooled engine but it only has 14 hp which is kinda underpowered.

A cub loboy is a version of the Farmall Cub tractor, first manufactured in the late 1940's. These ARE farm tractors(no relation to the cub cadet), built for continuous use and are very durable. The last cub loboys were made in the mid 1970's and are therefore all very old. International made the model 184(updated cub loboy) up until their demise in 1984. Parts should be readily available from Case-International tractor dealers, your problem will be that a 30+ year old tractor will most likely be worn out and need a lot of parts. Usually the first thing to go on a cub is second gear. As they built these things for 40 years the horsepower was increased over time, I believe that they run between 12 and 20 hp. I have seen them go at auctions from around $2000 to $4500 here in Illinois. I cant remember seeing one with a three point hitch. Most had Woods belly mowers which run off the rear PTO. These mowers give a LOT of belt problems. At the risk of repeating myself, I still like compact diesel tractors over the old gas burners. They just give a lot less problems. Guess I am just getting old but I hate having break downs EVERY time I mow the lawn.

the cub cadet site is not likely going to help you with the info you are seeking. I did a google search using international low boy & found plenty of sites to click on. The cadet is much smaller than the low boy.

I just bought my first Farmall Cub today on Ebay. Item number 2543785434 . [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2543785434&category=45012&rd=1[/url] The best part is that it's on Long Island!

About 14 or 15 pto horsepower is what the cub is rated at. Don't know what that translates to for engine horsepower. I would imagine 20 to 25 engine horsepower. They are a little underpowered for what they LOOKED like they could do, but were just fine for what they were made for. They can handle a 60" mowing deck with no problem. They are a nice little all around utility tractor. They were very popular and made for many years, so parts should not be a problem. Pat

If you get this book, you will get all the info you need about Farmall Cubs. [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0760310793/onthewebcom-20/103-5179487-3607811[/url]

Nice tractor, Woody. Don't the Cubs use the same 63 C.I. Continental engine as the Allis-Chalmers G? Pat

Woody you got a nice tractor for a good price. We had one on the farm when I was growing up. It even has hydraulics and the rear rockshaft for lifting the 2way plows for the cub. looks like it is missing the drawbar though that is needed for the bottom plows. there were quite a few attachments made specific to the cub. A center mounted sicklebar mower. A front mounted snow plow that could be belly mounted for a grader blade belt pulley that was mounted on the rear pto. all kinds of cultivators. If you need more power you can run a wire to the governor arm and pull on it to get more power when you need it.

Pat, It is nice. The engine is an original International design with 60 cubic inches and 9.25 horsepower, later increased with changes to pistons etc. The engine remained in production for 30 years. It will easily pull a one bottom plow. They were made for real farmers with not much land.

Three points were rare for these tractors and the CaseIH dealer told me that there were serious problems with the 3pts and the tractors couldn't handle them and it damaged them some way. Basically they are great for cutting grass but don't try pulling a 2 bottom plow. -Chris

Looks nice Woody, good metal from what I can see. We had one to, they are a sweet little unit....i love the sound of them when they are tuned up right, you can hear ever stroke. I saw one in Dakotas with a cab once...dont know if that was stock or not. Wide front is the ticket especially in hilly terrain.

Chris, This tractor will be pampered. Maynard, Finding this tractor on Ebay today was a real pick me up from three HOT days working on Keith and Chaka's home. I'm already searching for the draw bar, grader blade and front plow. They're easy to find. This style tractor and the Massey Harris Pony is what started me on collecting Simplicity. My first was this Model 700 and is going to look great next to the Farmall Cub. [url]http://image.photoloft.com/opx-bin/OpxFIDISA.dll?s=cano&src=/PhotoLoft/Asset18/2001/12/31/8705/8705667_0_0558.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF[/url]

I went to look at a Cub low boy last summer. I took it around the guy's field and I thought the HP to ground speed was all wrong. In low gear I had to ride the clutch to keep it from bogging down. I desided not to buy it.

Woody We had a 130 acre 30 cow farm and did all of the haying, plowing. harrowing planting, blocking fire wood with it. The only thing we couldn't do was bale hay. It was not big enough to handle the hay balers of that time. The bottom plows made for it were two way one right hand bottom plow and a left hand bottom plow. You could plow in both directions. we had a 5 foot sickle bar mower that we mowed 80 arces of hay with. A rear mounted cicular saw that we blocked all of the fire wood with. A set of rubber mounted wheel lags that gave it a 18" foot print on each rear wheel, The front mounted snow plow we plowed the house and barn driveway with. When I built my first house I used it to do all of the back filling of the foundation and did all of the gradeing with it. They are a great little tractor and for 9hp are under rated for the work they will do.

I think that there may be some confusion as to horsepower. A friend of mine had a later Cub Lo-Boy. The IHC dealer claimed it to be about 15 horsepower. Woody and Maynard both stated about 9 horsepower, so the difference here could be the upgrading of the engine over the years of production. It would probably help (since the 20 horsepower 720 is based on ENGINE horsepower) if someone could explain the difference between PTO horsepower, drawbar horsepower, and engine horsepower. I know and understand the difference, but not well enough to explain it. Pat

My grandpa had a regular Cub, not a LowBoy. He had a set of left and right hand bottom plows. He could plow to the end of a field, turn around, drop the other plow and plow back. These plows were not common, but were made for the Cubs.

We had a Cub last year. We restored it and fixed it all up... like stated above these tractors are underpowered... I would think the powermax is a lot better tractor... In fact when my dad got the cub done and we went to buy a underbelly mower they told us only to use a 40" deck maybe a 48" if it was a good running one... Well my 7016 has that big of a Deck....

Hello Patrician12, I did not see if mentioned in above responses, so here goes my 2 cents. The Cub Lowboy uses the same trans housing and gears as a cub cadet, and has a rear pto tht spins at crankshaft speed approx 1800 rpm. A reduction box was available to drop it to 540 but those are rare and costly. I also think the Lowboy could NOT be fitted with a creeper gear, so you've only got 3 speeds to work with. I gave the lowboy a thought, but not as something to put to work. I went about 3 hours each way for my 720, and now that I've fixed the starter and wiring I'm finding it to be pretty handy. A weekend trip, one days drive each way should find you a powermax or 720 that suits your liking. If I could have convinced my wife to let me spend a few days on the road I'd have bought the 9020 that a member has listed in TN. 0nly 170 hours on the machine with a loader. If you do not have a trailer, UHaul rents 6x12 tandem axle open trailers with surge brakes for $26 a day, that's what brought home my 720.

I did not find that the cub we had was under powered. It would pull a wagon load of baled hay that the neighbors Farmall C had a hard time pulling. It was a great tractor to pull a side delivery rake or hay tedder with and pulling hay wagons. If they seemed under powered then the engines in the tractors you tried were tired. Also it could have been the way the governor was adjusted. The HP rating on those old tractors was rated different than the way they do it today. Woody it is a great tractor and I wish I sill had the one we had on the farm.

Pardner, As you can see in the knowledge and history above, you're talking about a real 4 cylinder, h20-cooled tractor here. Gas. No diesel injectors to screw up like my former Case 480 B backhoe/loader-great for 40 hour a week service-lousy for occasional weekly use. Once you get it rebuilt, you'll have something ready for another 50 years. Just like the Farmall H and M's still usable today. Parts-also try CT Tractor Supply catalogue. A

The cub and the low boy are not the same, I have had a cub before and as UCD states they do many jobs very well. Don't compare apples to oranges. The best thing to do is go test it out and deside for yourself. As I stated before the low boy I tried out did not impress me.

Have one of those Mcormick cubs sitting in the pole barn with the cultivators on they work well when I grow a larg plot of sweet corn didn`t bother this year , too much rain .So, its sitting next to the old Ford 9n .I know you will enjoy your cub!!