Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 lift presure test questions

MPH

Finally tried out my new liquid filled oil pressure gauge today. According to the book, with control lever(off) should read 70-150lbs. I don't quite get 50. When I engauge the lift lever I should get 700-800lbs, I get maybeeee 200. Trouble shooting says to check the charge relief valve and the implement relief valve. Haven't found them yet, hoping to get them by removing bottom pan. Can I??? Any ideas what to look for if I do find them and can remove them without tearing the tractor down?? Thanks...MPH

Ok, found both the valve, removed 'em, look to free of any pitting, large flow of oil come out either when cranking engine over. Guess I'm into something more serious then a stuck spring..MPH

MPH, What kind of filter do you have on the hydro ? Using a Fram Extraguard or other high efficiency Oil Filter will starve the charge pump and cause lack of pressure for the 3pt lift. The 720 I jst bought could not lift the 3pt box blade untill I put an OEM Hydro Filter on it, just my 2 cents. Good luck.