Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Allis_B12

New member with a new tractor

Allis_B12
Hello everyone! Two weeks ago, I brought home my first tractor, my grandfather's old A-C B-12. It hadn't run in 10 years. I don't have any pictures, so I'll describe it. It has the snowplow, the 42" mower, the rototiller, and the Hi-Lo assembly. Not bad for a free tractor. Cosmetically, it has some surface rust and many scratches, so it needs paint. Mechanically, it's solid. I installed a new battery, added some gas, and the old Briggs was firing away! Anyways, I'm going to try a frame-up restoration on it soon. Any suggestions on painting or restoring it are welcome. I'm a novice painter, but I've worked on a few Briggs engines. Just a couple of questions. Where can I find an exact replacement seat for the B-12? I know the seat is exclusive to it and it seems hard to find. Also, what would this tractor be worth, properly restored? I'm not planning on selling it, but a ballpark estimate would be appreciated. Thanks, everybody! Joel :)

Chris727
Joel, Its very hard to put a value on a restored tractor. It depends on how good the paint looks and how good it runs. The attachments and the Hi-lo help its value. The seat cushions have been discussed many times here, you could try an auto upholstery shop, they may be able to make you a copy or you could get them from Sandy Lake Implement or Mary Gearhart from what I understand. Do a search in the forums and at the simpletractors homepage for "cushions" or seats and surely you'll find some information. Welcome to the club. -Chris

Dadsy98
Welcome Joe. For seat cushions look here: http://www.simpletractors.com/parts/a-c_seat_cushions.htm The B12 after you restore it will be priceless to you. To someone else well, that anybodies guess :) Steve

IronPony
Well, you have already discoverd that you got more than just a tractor from your grandfather -- you got a hobby to pass on in your family!! Welcome to the club/forum. Dan