Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

yeoman 627

Charlieson

I found a yeoman 627. Garage kept. Everything is in great condition except the engine. Lady said she thought that someone ran it without oil. I havent had time to look at the motor yet. Has anyone used a different engine on these little tractors? ddh

Dwayne, I think that is a vertical shaft engine. If so, I have changed many on Murrays, Dynamarks, Sears etc. They are very universal. I just recently replaced a single cylinder Tecumseh with a V-Twin B/S Vanguard for a friend. Fuel line, wiring, crank pulley and throttle all had to be modified.

My 616 Yoeman has a 8 hp Briggs in it. If you want to keep the Yoeman looking orginal replace motor with a single cylinder motor.

I just got done restoring one and i went to fleet farm and bought a brand new 8hp. briggs and it bolted on with no modifacations and she runs reak sweet.

I have a Yeoman 616 and the engine is and 8 horse Briggs and Stratton. It appears to be a new engine.

It runs. Other than no brakes and few other odds and ends it runs fine. Damn thing goes as fast in reverse as it does forward which doesnt seem right. I backed into the wood splitter doing about 90. Do all of these little yeoman's do this? ddh

I believe all the Broadmoors and Yeomans and maybe the Serfs that have the three forward gears have the same speed in reverse as high gear. I don't know about the transmissions with two forward gears though. Makes you have to ride the clutch in reverse...I don't like going that fast backwards.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with you guys about going fast backwars. I don't like going fast. My Yeoman does about 150 backwards, but in the highest gear, it goes slow. I backed into our tomato plants when mowing the backyard!

Check to see if the belt is on the proper pulley. Underneath on the crankshaft there are two, the smaller upper one runs the tractor, the lower larger one for the deck, blower, etc. Found the same thing on my homesteader when I acquired it...the thing goes like the devil with the belt on the large pulley. Also, if the belt is on the lower pulley, the belt fingers can't do their thing and the clutch won't consistantly stop the belt for shifting (another symptom). Probably needs a shorter belt if this is the case.