Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K341 flywheel Help

IronPony

A little background first - I am repowering my AC 712 from the K301 12hp to a K341 16hp or at least trying to|) The flywheel on the old K301 has four holes drilled and threaded for the drive shaft adapter while the K341 has only two. Need opinions on just using the two holes with the four hole adapter. I would really not want to change flywheels if I don't really have to. If I do need to change flywheels, will there be any problem with balancing once they are on different engines? The red on is the K341 with only two bolts, The black one is the K301 with two bolts and two empty holes. Dan [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/howlanddm/DSC00165.JPG[/img]

A driveshaft connects with only two holes. I have made spacers that driectly connected to the two hole flywheel. A couple pieces of good square-cut tubing and some grade 5 or 8 bolts is all that you need. In fact my AC 712S is the only tractor that has a factory adapter and it is my third tractor. It is also the only one with a factory engine.

Rod, I appriciate your reply. My AC712 is also a Shuttle, like yours, and I am taking out the original engnie which is a 12hp. Have you used only two bolts with any higher horse power? My replacement engine is the K341, 16 horse. What do you think?? Dan

Dan, I currently have a 14 Hp Kohler on my 61 Wards, that we are using for tractor pulling. It uses two long bolts through a stack of washers as a spacer. I had a previous pulling tractor that was running a 16 Hp Kohler with the head shaved .060. I made two spacers out of tubing for that one. I also had another tractor with a Cub Cadet 12Hp engine on it. I made a plate that bolted to the four small bolts on the Cadet style flywheel with two larger holes for the AC driveshaft hookup. I put the two long bolts through from the back side of the plate before bolting onto the flywheel. I also used a stack of washers on that one. There is nothing magical about the hookup. You just need a spacer, that, when torqued tightly will prevent the long bolts from bending. The loads on the driveshaft bolts are not very high compared to elswhere on the tractor, and are very smoothly applied and constant load. I've never had any problems with this type of set-up and have never broken a flexdisk. I have also run engines with the crankshaft 1 1/2 inches higher than stock with no problems. Many may disagree, but it worked for me. I did all of this before I found this forum. You learn to do a lot of things when there is no one to tell you that "it isn't supposed to be done that way". Many times, with me it is just a challenge to see if my way will work.

Rod, Thanks again - I suspected that there would be no problem but needed the reassurance from someone who had been there and done that. Thanks again - Dan

Dan, My 712S really isn't. It is built from pieces from 7 or 8 different machines. It actually has a 13 Hp B/S engine from a Homelite T13. This is also where the shuttle came from. There are parts from three 710s, a 716,a 410,a Murray, a Cub Cadet and others. It is, however, the only one that has the correct driveshaft adapter of the three Simplicity/AC tractors I own.