Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity spoiled me

srwven

I was over my father's this weekend taking his John Deere out in the woods with the trailer to get some wood. Had to take the mower deck off then put it back on when I was done. Man what a pain in the butt! Had to turn the handle in front to loosen the pulley tension, remove the safety arm over the pulley, remove the pulley and belt, put the pulley and safety arm back on. Then had to remove the two spring loaded clips on the front, remove the two rear attachments, remove the lift attachment. Putting it back on was an even bigger pain. Man am I glad I have my Simplicity!!!

I got my father's JD 400 stuck in our woods once. But to be fair, it had the mower deck on it. That's why I love my AC-it's heavy-duty without being too heavy a tractor.

I have a john deere 110 and I removed the deck recently and found it to be much easier to remove the deck than on my B110. I like the spring clips, I didn't have to remove all the stuff you did, maybe his was set up wrong. On my Allis B-110 I have to jack up the front of the tractor to remove a so called easy to remove deck, I know the newer running board tractors having more space between the front and rear wheels don't have that problem, but that is my only complaint about the B110, I use it for so many other things that the deck has to come off all of the time so its real frustrating! -Chris

That's the first I've heard of having to jack up the front end of an AC or Simplicity tractor to change the mowing deck. I've never had any trouble taking the 42" deck off my Big Ten. Takes about two minutes if I'm taking my time.

Takes me fifteen or so, It was easy on my 3410 Landlord RBT, And I found it unsual when I got the B-110 to have to do that but I just cant get the front forks on the deck to clear the front tires easily if at all, and I know they are the right size tires, and the deck has not been "hacked" or custominzed, its all stock. The foot pedals also kind of get in the way and then putting it back on is even worse because of trying to get the pin holes in the front to line up. I still love my B-110 though and its my favorite! -Chris

I have never had any problems removing the deck on my 64 Landlord either.Just kinda wondering if you are turning the front wheels when you are ready to slide the deck out?I turn mine all the way to the left and slide the deck out the right side... I would say that the Simplicity deck is almost the easiest one to remove from a tractor besides my Wheel Horse.I dont think the Wheel Horse is really easier just dont have all the pins to remove.I just have a button to push and a nob to turn to loosen the belt..

The Simplicity Sunstar and Powermax line (60" decks) require jacking up the front of the tractor to get the deck out from underneath. You can drive over the Powermax deck if you want to but I never felt comfortable enough to do that. The Sunstar manual claims the deck will slide out from underneath like the other Simplicities but the 60" deck will not. It is not a pain to jack it up and it actually makes it easier to access the front pins and clips.

I usually unclip the front yolk so that the yolk drops down out of the way. This plus turning the front tires helps to remove and replace the deck in less than 5 minutes. It helps to have all the joints greased up so that the pins come out easier and the yolk pivots easier. JH PS I used to have a John Deere 214 and the deck was more troublesome to put on what wiyh all those brackets mentioned above . :(

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
I have a john deere 110 and I removed the deck recently and found it to be much easier to remove the deck than on my B110. I like the spring clips, I didn't have to remove all the stuff you did, maybe his was set up wrong. -Chris
This is not a jd110, it is a 214 and it was definitely not set up wrong. Without doing all the things mentioned (as johnmonkey also stated) this deck would not work. These are all the necessary steps. No wonder my dad hates to remove the freaging thing. He usually just keeps it on year round unless it requires maintenance. My 7014 takes less than 5 minutes-two spring clips with the pins, one pin on the lift and remove the belt. Luvit

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
I have a john deere 110 and I removed the deck recently and found it to be much easier to remove the deck than on my B110. I like the spring clips, I didn't have to remove all the stuff you did, maybe his was set up wrong. On my Allis B-110 I have to jack up the front of the tractor to remove a so called easy to remove deck, I know the newer running board tractors having more space between the front and rear wheels don't have that problem, but that is my only complaint about the B110, I use it for so many other things that the deck has to come off all of the time so its real frustrating! -Chris
What have you been smoking? I ran a B-112 for 11 years and a B-210 for 7. Put the decks on every spring and off every fall, NEVER had a jack under either tractor. The 42' deck pulls out real easy, the 48" takes a little shuffle but still comes out alright.

9020 & 720 60" decks unhook 2 pins in the front and the pins for the lift cables and loosen the belt and remove it and put small blocks where the front tires will back over the deck & presto the deck is off! Same way to put it on but put the blocks in front of the front tires and drive over the deck. To dang heavy to be dragging it out from the tractor unless it's on cement. When I do park it on cement and drag it out I turn the wheels all the way in one direction and out it comes. I like driving over it because it is a lot easier on the back. My .02

I always turn the wheels to the furthest they will turn and no I haven't been smoking anything, I guess the steering control arm could be adjusted so the wheels turn more, I'll have to look into it as tommorow unless it rains I'll be putting the deck back on and putting new rollers on it, going to fabricate a new rollerbar later, mine's worn real bad, and a new one is more $$ than I need to spend. The tiller and front blade do attach and come off very easily! Yes in minutes, but my 42" deck just insn't so easy so I'll adjust the steering control arm if possible and I'll time myself too. -Chris

Who cares wether you can slide it out or not. cut 2 1"x6" about 18" long, use these as ramps to back over the deck. To put it back on put the boards on the back of the deck on top of the rollers and drive back over, when the front wheels are up on the deck kick the boards out of the way with your feet. I have done this for many years on "B"s and my 9020.

I have a jd 300 and my better half has coverd her strawberrys with some of the finest black mesh so the birds don't eat the berrys. It so happend the mesh meshed well with the grass too. for the short of it. The Mower deck is significanly more difficult to deal with than the (spoiled me) simplicty 7117. The Jd was so much trouble i thought i would never get it on. Bear in mind It did not come installed and no manuals. The thing was free so i managed to get it on after 2 hours of wrestling. I am reluctant to fight with it again. But I have to get her mesh off those blades which is on there tighter than the paint on my 74 dodge van and it's shedding.

When I have to go in the woods I take an old Craftsman or White in there to do that kind of work. I don't worry about scratches or dents and my friend took the deck off the White while I was on vacation, so it goes in and out easy, now, talk about hard to take off, that White was near impossible to take the deck off of, from what my friend told me, plus the drive belt keeps coming off. That's just a project racing mower, so it's just here for right now. My Simplicity hangs up on stuff if I have to go in the woods with it. The deck doesn't sit as high as I want it to, even in the raised position.

I've used all three methods to attach and remove the deck on my B210. I've jacked it. I've left it sit flat and slid it under. And I've driven the tractor over the deck both to install and remove. The easiest has to be driving the tractor over the deck. No jacks to fuss with, and no fight to slide the deck under. Steve

Leroy it sounds like you should pick up the front of the tractor with a loader or cherry picker or jack it up.Put safety blocks under it so it doesn't fall on you. When we have to clean the twine off of the beaters on the manure spreader we use the cutting torch. Makes fast work of plastic or sisal twine. A little more tricky under your deck with bearings & seals? Good luck on your plastic mesh removal.

The reason I have 2 working simplicity's is so I don't have to take the deck off. At least not often anyway,and when I do I usually use my jack just because it's easier on my back. I've tried sliding it out and driving over it but using the jack is easiest. The 64 does the mowing chores while the 2110 does anything else. I've never had a jd so I don't know anything about except that they are green and yellow.

I agree with mowerman.. It's easy to remove.. Never had to jack up my tractor even when I had a 48in deck under it...

Deck schmeck..... You guys just need more tractors so you don't have to change implements around..... LOL After having played with it a bit I use the B-112 for nothing but mowing now, but have had the deck on and off three or four times. I turn the wheels all the way right and slide the deck out to the left, will try the opposite side next time since the deck adjusters can catch on the PTO guard. All it takes are three pins and the belt, and since it has the tensioning spring on the PTO, that's a snap. I don't know why yours would be so hard, Chris. BTW, with all the plowing and tilling I did with the Putt Putt this year, I took the center PTO off. It ended up dragging in the dirt a lot and I wasn't using anything that needed it anyhow. With that removed, you'd be amazed at what you can go over or through....

one trick to readjust your cable lift is to find out where it stops slack, and put a c-cable clamp just under the attachment lift point bracket. be surprised how much higher the deck will go.

I'm with mowerman and bunky. 3212v and a b212. 3212v has a 48" deck never driven over or jacked it. just turn the wheels and drag it under. a little deck height adjustment when it's all over. dutch and daddycat, thanks for the info on the 3212v tranny. i'm going to try a spring puller (t handle rod with a heavy hook)to try and get the shifting forks back in place.