Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire treatment

Dadsy98

Has anybody used a tire dressing or treatment to prevent dry rot and UV danage? I see several at the auto stores but they are a showy wet look product. I heard of some stuff for RV tires. Any opinions out there? Steve

I dont know how good this would prevent dry rot or uv damage, but we used to use boot polish ( the good kind that you rub on and buff off) on tires for show off times at the drive-in. If it was supposed to be good for your shoes, what could it hurt your tires ? Am gonna try it on some of mine. .........just a thought

You only need this one product for EVERYTHING you own made of plastic, rubber,fiberglas etc. It's not like those slimy products which use silicone. It will actually RESTORE the finish. I use it on my canoe, kayak, tires, truck cap, dashboard, vinyl seats...you get the idea. [url]http://www.303products.com/main.php[/url] Take a look at these tire facts on their website: [url]http://www.303products.com/techinfo/tires1.htm[/url]

Mike, I've used shoe polish, the kiwi stuff, on the black trim and rubber. Looks like new and repels water well. The polish doesn't last long though. Never tried it on tires. Woody, That 303 stuff sounds interesting. I have six new tires I'd like to treat. The count will be sixteen IF I don't find another tractor to buy:) I checked my area and found a dealer in town. The spray would be easier to apply than polish. I'll probably give it a try. Thanks for the tip! Steve

Check out the stuff that Miller Tires sells. WWW.millertire.com It is expensive but I have read good things about it.

The "303" stuff Woody mentioned works quite well. another product to consider is "Ballistol Lube..." comes in spray and liquid form. It's a non-petroleum based lubricant and preservative....developed for the German army about twenty years before World War One. It's bio-degradable and non-toxic...I use it on everything from my flintlock rifles to my saddle gear and boots to my boat stuff. Great stuff....seems to help rubber as well.