Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is it a 700 or 725 ???

DanBov

I'm in the early stages of a partial restoration . The hood emblems are 725's . The motor type is 706035 which matches for the 700 model . I've noticed that there is no choke control on the right side of the frame . Did they make 725's without this feature ? Maybe I have a 700 with a 725 hood ? What else should I look for ? Thanks , Dan

I believe that the 700 had a shorter steering column than the 725. Here is the 700 [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1959/model_700.htm[/url] .....and the 725 [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1963/model_725.htm[/url] Pat

Posting a pic would help, but here are some other things to look for. No pulley guard on the right side fender, straight shifter, two section seat(not pan seat)... There was a recent post on this when Rhabas got one fron a neighbor.

Dan, I'am also restoring a early Simplicity 725 which has short steering column & two section seat with choke control on tractor frame,has curved shifter. This tractor came with a 42" mower deck that is all bolted together. My tractor was made around 1962? I have about over half of the tractor painted now & engine is now painted today. Karl

Has a short steering shaft , two piece seat, no choke control , engine #'s match with 700 model . Looks to be a 700 . Karl , have you overhauled your motor ? I'm trying to find a parts diagram for the briggs model 19 engine so I can try to order parts if the're still available . Dan

Th steering cloumn on the 725 was indeed longer and it was spring loaded so you could lift up on the wheel to disengage the beveled gears and spin the wheel around backwards out of the way of the hood. Kind of a neat setup.

Dan; the parts diagram should be somewhere here on the site but if you cant find it send me a PM with your email and I will scan it out of my parts book and send it to you.

Dan, I have rebuilt my Briggs & Stratton engine. I bought rings and gasket set,oil seals from my local Briggs & Stratton dealer. I installed my engine in the tractor today. The steering cloumn on my 725 is short and it has spring just above the gear. Karl

• 3 weeks later...
John, The Simplicity 700 has the 2-piece seat. I quess the early Simplicity 725 also had a 2-piece seat.;) Karl

The pan seat seems to have started in 1962, with the long shaft steering, belt guard, etc. There are four models of 725, the 232, 235, 269, and 270. I believe the first two are for two piece seat Model 725s from 1961 and the other two are pan seat models from 1962. This is just guess work on my part though..... Various pieces to the puzzle are in other posts. Do a search and you'll find a lot of info.