Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Can't get mower blades to come off.

Forgefan

I am working on a 66 Broadmoor and have gotten to the deck. It is a 32" deck with three blades. I am having a heck of a time getting the bolts that hold the blade to the spindle to come free. Any suggestions? I will have some pictures of the strip down shortly as soon as I resize them for space. Thanks

Penetrating oil and heat are a combo that's hard to beat!! Make sure you use a six point socket to avoid rounding the bolt head off, too.

1) Give the bolts a shot of good penetrating oil (I use PB Blaster). Let soak in for a few minutes. 2) Use a tight (new) hex socket. 3) Use an air impact wrench if you have one. Or, block the blade with a piece of wood and use a long breaker bar.

So far I've tried everything except the heat. I guess I'll be buying the wife a new torch for her tool cabinet. :D Which gas type would you recommend?

Try soaking it with oil and tapping the bolt head with a small hammer. Do it several times, the longer you soak, the better. Make sure you soak both sides of the threads if possible. Shock waves from the tapping allow the oil to creep up the threads, help break up rust. A common propane torch will work, just heat it up and then spray with the oil(Kroil, PB Blaster, etc). As the part cools it will draw the oil into the thread gap, just keep it soaked good. It may take several cycles. Take proper safety precautions like having a hose handy, wear gloves and safety glasses.....

Took blades off my '70 Broadmoor deck recently, to replace a spindle. Same problem. Been so long since tractor was in service, visible bolt treads had also rusted, almost disappeared. FOLLOW ADVISE ABOVE. Used a long handle 1/2 drive (not 3/8) and PB'ed it. Once it starts, if bolt head doesn't break off, you're in business.

Electric 1/2" impact wrench, six point socket. My cheap Harbor Freight impact wrench takes off nuts and bolts whether they want to or not. If they break they needed replacing anyway...:) I use this when I teardown a piece of equipment. I already figure using new hardware. Steve

If that deck is anything like mine was on my 717 I had a great time with it.B) Worked on getting the blades off for quite a while until I noticed that someone had put locknuts on the back side of the blades. After I took the nuts off the bolts unscrewed right out with out a problem.

After you use the oil, do the wacking thing on the bolt. Hit it square with a good ballpeen hammer. It is amazing what a good hit can do to fix a problem. Kind of like taking out ball joints. Hitting the side makes them babies pop right out.