Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

is $1500 reasonable for 9020?

slo383

3pt hitch, rear pto (? this is 2000 rpm 1" shaft?, so only simplicity or attachments specifically for the 9020 work?), 60" mostly rebuilt deck, ag tires, seems to start and run fine, anything in particular to look at? thanks Sam

Absolutely not a good price, but tell me where it is:D Seriously, from what I have seen on this site the powermax usually goes for around 3 grand if in good condition. I have no direct experience with these but I believe the 9020 has the Onan engine and can be expensive to repair/replace, some have put in a different engine(Honda?). If that tractor is in decent shape and the engine isn't blowing smoke that sounds like a great deal to me.

Hello Slo383, Yes, rear PTO is 2000 rpm, female spline, so I think only Simplicity or "Allied" attachments will work. I just bought the Allis equivalent 720 with loader and 48" box blade for $3500 and that was about $1000 more than I should have paid based on the condition (now that I've had 2 weeks to find all the warts) Steering gets sloppy when front axle bushings and or keys holding steering arm to spindles wear out. Hydro Trans gets weak, mine had wrong filter on it initially and it had no power or pressure to 3pt. Correct filter helped when cold, but after 30 minutes it needs to take a rest and cool down. That may be due to the bottom cover on the frame being missing and not forcing the engine fan to draw all it's air through the hydro oil cooler. I'm finding it is a nice size machine, and the hydro is real easy to drive in tight spaces. The charging system is often a problem, Not for me yet, but there are many postings describing the issues and fixes. Onan parts are expensive, I just spent $75 for a starter solenoid. And the engine has to be removed to get to the starter. Kinda scary at first, but with practice it should take about 30 minutes to yank it. I'd recommend searching the site for "manuals" and then follow the link to the simplicity site and download a copy of the Parts Manual and check the machine for missing parts. It looks like the previous owners of my 720 had a bad habit of leaving parts behind cause I'm missing all sorts of little bits. But for $1500 if it runs and moves it's got potential.

Simplicity and Allis Chalmers implements will work of course, but also some of the John Deere, Wheelhorse, Ariens, Sears models and probably a few more used Cat 0 hitches with the same 2000 rpm pto setup.

i have a 9020, offer me a measley $1500 for mine and i'll chase you across the county line! LOL actually i think that if it runs no smoke good tin and tires BUY IT. if you don't want it let the rest of us have a chance at it! at $1500 it is worth that for parts

i bought it yesterday. it really is a nice tractor. i'm thrilled. it starts easily, the starter has been repaired, the deck jumps up, doesn't smoke, but based on the deck roller wear, this deck has seen a lot of use. the steering is loose and the rear pto doesn't seem to work. i haven't searched for the solutions yet (maybe the disc as in another current thread) but any suggestions/fixes/things to look at (steering, pto, or otherwise) are welcome. sam

do you have a manual? i find mine to be priceless! as far as i am concerned you got burnt, i'll give you $1200 for it and take it off your hands, lol no just kiding, congratulations on getting a great deal ed

What deal! I wish I could find another one of these fine machines. I parted one out this past winter and more than doubled my money. If you need parts, don't go racing to the dealer for everything. There are alot of after market parts and other places to find good used parts. (Here and eBay for instance) As for the loose steering. I put red LocTite on my steering knuckles and it works quite well to tighten the steering up in that area, which is where they are usually loose.

to ed, you are clairvoint (sp)!!!. i did get burnt when i touched the exhaust muffler with the back of one of my knuckles. ROFLOL. i'm sure the 1200 was a typo and you meant 12000, but i can't accept the offer because i've fallen in love and love can't be bought. LOL still. i do have all the manuals thanks sam

A good deal and now you will need more of them:D 1 for mowing^ 1 for a loader :D 1 for garden work :D 1 for misc. driveing:D:D:D so keep on :D:):D

Sam, Congrats on the powermax! I'll weigh in on the steering. It may be a real simple problem that's somewhat difficult to fix. I've had the steering gearboxes come loose a couple times on my tractors. The one bolt is very difficult to get at. You'll need to use a 3/8 drive long extension and a knuckle to get at it. Pull the cover off in front of the seat and you will see the gearbox down inside RH below the lift control valves. Operate the steering wheel and look to see if the gearbox is moving. If the gearbox is tight, you may have to go to a junkyard and find a '71 or '72 Chevy Vega for a replacement. Good Luck!;)