Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ambler

Grease Fittings

ambler
I've been going over some new tractors that I have acquired. What do you do with plugged up grease fittings? Can they be removed and cleaned. It was cheaper to by used tractors than repower.

Dadsy98
I agree with Maynard, Replace them. Next time your in town buy a handful of grease fittings (zerks) and a handful of cotter pins, clevis pins, and other small hardware. get the sizes you use the most. Nothing is more aggravating than not having a simple 35 cent part on hand and having to spend time and gas going to get them. Steve

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
The best thing is to remove them and replace with new ones. It is not usealy the grease fitting but the dried up grease behind them.
......... and when they are out, use a small screwdriver to remove the caked up grease in the hole. I also use a hammer powered ramset to clear out plugged up fittings. Works 75% of the time.

Agricola
They do make a grease fitting cleaner outer. You put some motor oil in, line it up with the fitting and hit it with a "Ford Tool". The oil can sometimes loosen up the old grease. I agree with replacing them also. Cheap investment which makes for easier maintenance.

sask
Easy to replace if they are the threaded fittings. Tougher if they are the pound-in type. If they are the latter, and I manage to be able to remove them, I tap new threads in the hole and replace with threaded fittings.

HubbardRA
I usually soak them in Kerosene after scraping out all of the grease I can get to. Then I check them with a grease gun before re-installing. This is during the "Murphy's Law" time periods. Otherwise put in new ones.

ambler
Thanks, for the info I'll pick them up. I bought a 7112H and a 7119H, the 19 has a 20 hp Magnum in it. I'm going over all the workings of the tractors starting with maintainence issues. Sooner or later I'll repower the 7117H.