Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
HubbardRA

Front Hitch for AC 700 Series?

HubbardRA
Does anyone know if a front ball hitch was made to fit the AC 700 series or the Simplicity 7000 series tractors? The universal front/rear ball hitch units (as seen many times on this site) will not fit on these tractors because the grille overhangs quite a ways out in front of the axle. I am thinking of making one and was wondering if it had been done before and anyone had drawings or at least a picture.

GregB
At one point (it may have been at the old clubhouse) someone posted a modified snow blade mount to use it as a ball hitch. I think they just opened up one of the existing pin holes to accept the ball shaft. You used the tractor lift to set the height to the height of your trailer. I guess you could make an adaptor plate so you can still use the mount for the snow blade when you need to. GregB

HubbardRA
Greg, First of all my snow blade mount is not factory and wouldn't work well in that manner. Secondly, I have two trailers, one made from a pickup truck bed and the second is a 14x6.5 tandem axle. With either one of these rigs loaded, I don't think that type of hitch would handle the tongue weight.

HubbardRA
Thanks Maynard, This is interesting. I don't have a snow blower, so I have never seen this hitch. It is however, almost exactly what I was planning to build. I was working out a design to get the ball much higher. I want to be within the working range of the screw jack on my trailer. With the current rear mounted ball on my AC716H, I have to fold up the screw jack to get the coupler low enough to fit onto the ball. I would like to couple up the ball then be able to swing up the jack. In other words I have to pick up the tongue either by hand if empty or with another jack if loaded, in order to fold up my screw jack, because the ball is not high enough. I'll build one of these hitches then post pictures.

Dutch
Rod, I just re-posted my front hitch. Here it is again. I can lift and lock up to 300 lbs with it. I have (lowered) 500 lbs on it. How heavy is your tongue weight? [img]/club2/attach/dutch/spot-hitch.jpg[/img]

HubbardRA
Dutch, My tandem axle trailer is capable of carrying 7000 lb and I know I have had over 6000 lb on it. I have had 120 bags (3 cu ft) of wet mulch on it. The bags were running around 50-60 lb each. I know I have had around 4000 lb on my homemade truck bed trailer (Heaped up with topsoil). Tires with 40 lb in them looked nearly flat. In general the tongue weight should be about 1/10 of the total weight to tow correctly. I've never had a way to measure the tongue weights, but I think this is a close guess. I bent the factory hitch with a ball mounted to the tow hole. I want to design something solid. I didn't want to ruin the lift mechanism, or depend strictly on the rod or its connections to support the load. I also want a design that is high enough to be able to put it on the ball with the screw jack on the tongue. I will have to make the hitch completely, because I don't have a hitch like you are using. I would say that the type you have is totally adequate for the trailer that you show in the pictures. I just think it is a little on the marginal for the heavier loads. I will probably make a solid design bases on a design somewhat similar to the one Maynard pictured. I do think I want it to hook over the top of the axle with the heavy loads. I want the ball much higher to simulate my tow vehicle height. If I ever get to start on my loader, I will design a hitch for the front of it and then these problems will go away.