Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCB

Mice

JCB
maybe a dumb ???? but i have problems with mice building there nest around the engine head and flywheel. everywinter. with 4 garden lawn tractors tiller pressure washer mowers it a pain and takes forever to clean out. wonder if theres anything to spray em with to keep the mice out????? has anybody used moth balls or crystalls????? thanks john

RickS
I use month balls on my outboard motor. The local repair shop recommended them after mice built a nest in my carb. Others (Dutch I think) uses an airhose to blow out the nests.

Agricola
Mothballs or moth crystals should do the job. I'm not sure which would last the longest. You might consider wrapping the unit up in plastic once you put the moth stuff in its place. That should make it a bit harder for the little buggers. For a good demouser, mix Oatmeal with plaster. They get a bit bound up when they drink water.

sask
If you blow out nests (or even clear them out by hand), take precautions against hantavirus. Wet down the area to reduce dust, wear a good respirator mask, and wear gloves. Hantavirus is transmitted in the droppings and urine of deer mice (brown with a white belly), and the dust from old droppings is especially dangerous if it came from infected mice. While the disease is relatively rare, it is very serious and can kill even the healthiest individual. A 37 old otherwise healthy farmer in our area died from it recently; he picked it up while grinding hay bales in which deer mice had lived.

thedaddycat
Funny that you should post this right now...... Last night I thought I heard something in the garage, couldn't pinpoint it though... Tonight I heard it again, a kind of scratching noise. I took down a big stainless steel bowl I had up on a shelf. I took the wok out of it and there was this small and extremely terrified mouse..... The sides of the bowl were too steep for the little rodent to climb out of. I let it go outside, back by the edge of the woods.......

dlsven
I've had a lot of trouble with mice eating the insulation from under the hoods of my cars. If I leave the hoods open I don't have any problem. I tried putting sacks of moth balls under the hoods but that didn't work and the smell drove me nuts. I have 2 cats, the female catches mice but can't keep up with the number of mice, the male just lounges about. For the house I bought some repellent stuff called "Rat Scat" from www.pickettfencecatalog.com and it seems to work because I no longer hear mice in the walls of the house but I haven't tried it around the vehicles.

Dutch
Moth balls, cats, and poison won't keep grass clippings and dust (which turns into mud if you wash) out of the fins. That's why I use (dry) compressed air after every use. Only takes a few minutes, but can save hours of work later and big $$$.

JCB
thanks all. weve got prenty of cats out here.(8) and to many snakes. had to thin them out the past couple years. got bit 3 times last year and one time allready this year.the roosters and hens seem to help.?? well back to the mice somebody said try sulpher[:0] john