Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Air-cooled Engine Question

andy gartner

Andy I'm not sure there is an actual number but look at it this way; Most of the time mowing your tractor runs wide open. If you ran your car wide open (whats that 100 plus miles an hour?) for 25 hours how many miles would be on it? I doont know if thats the correct way to look at it but that certainly justifies a 25 hour oil change in my mind.

The real enemy of Oil is the process of heating up and cooling down. This is what takes it toll on viscosity. Age is another enemy. While on the state patrol, we were responsible for seeing to the routine maintenance of our patrol cars. We did not shorten the manufacture’s recommendations for oil change intervals even though we were operating at extreme speeds very frequently. I think the high temps and the dirty environment that "our" tractors operate in dictate the frequence of required oil changes and service. Onced again only my opinion and it is FREE so remember you get what you pay for. Dan

I agree with Dan and Dan. Another thing to think of, is that an eight cylinder auto engine, without overdrive, is turning about 3000 rpm at 60 mph. That would be 33 1/3 hours at 2000 miles. It is also barely working, using about 1/10 of it's rated power. Since you have eight cylinders running, each cylinder is is taking 1/8 of the total load. The air cooled single cylinder engine on your tractor is running at full rated horsepower, at 3600 rpm, that one cylinder is carrying 100 percent of the load, and the engine is running at least 150 degrees higher in operating temperature. Pat

Thanks Danx2 and Pat, Can't remember, if it was Briggs on their 1-cylinder's, but some manufacturer had a formula, like every hour was equal to 200-1,000 or more miles in car miles. And that these incredible engines went the equivalent of 4-500,000.00 in a lifetime. I was trying to explain to my son, why oil changes on small engines are so critical, like on his car, which he understands. But can't recall the exchange??-all input appreciated! A

I think an oil change is cheap insurance. Most of these take 1 - 1.5 quarts. That might max out to be $2.50. Blow one rod or spin a bearing and that dollar figure will make your heart go pitter patter. I change oil on every single tractor I have every spring, after it has run for a short period of time to get that oil nice and hot. Then I keep track of when it is due for another oil change. I'm not exactly at the 20 hour mark but I bet it is close. Checking the oil before every single use will let you see the color and texture of that important fluid. Run a bit between your fingers to make sue it is smooth.