Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Worn Arbor Key Run Question

Jeffreyb

I have a 3212V with a 42" deck on which the left blade arbor has a Woodruff key run. I've been mowing with it since this spring and unfortunately didn't realize the pulley was loosening until I heard it begin to knock. The pulley center is now worn out of round and the key run on the arbor is rounded out. Otherwise, the bearings and arbor assembly seem OK. The pulley was cast iron, but didn't have a set screw so I assume it wasn't original and the lack of a set screw may have caused the problem. I do have a replacement pulley that does have a set screw, but it won't hold given the worn arbor shaft key slot. Is the arbor ruined or is it possible to either drill a hole in the arbor and use a longer set screw or have a shop build the slot back up? Thanks in advance - Jeff

I Agree with dutch... Just take it to a machine shop or If you have someone you know that has a mill...

The arbors are pricey, but may be the way to go. Chances are, if the pulley ran loose, that the shaft is worn as well as the pulley. In that case, the shaft would have to be built up and turned down, in addition to cutting the keyway. If the shaft is not worn, Dutch's suggestion of cutting a new keyway in a different location is the way to go. If the shaft is worn, the repair will come close to the price of a new shaft. In any case, regardless of how the bearings feel, replace them while you have the unit apart. Pat

There are several ways to fix it. First-as Dutch said, second-weld up the area and re-machine the key slot, third-open up the slot to the next width key, then file the outer portion of the key down to fit the pulley.

I've had some luck repairing worn keyways with epoxy, specifically A and B Putty (a two part "solid" type epoxy you knead together). I've only repaired keyways where some of the keyway was still ok so that a long key can be placed in the keyway to act as a "form" for the epoxy. After drying and careful removal of the key, the expoxy can be sanded "round" and the shaft is ready for use. Since the epoxy repair is confined inside the pulley hub, it's in compression and has held up ok for me.

grayford, Jeff should not need the entire assembly. He should only need the shaft, if anything. The last shafts I purchased was somewhere around $60 for the outer spindles and $80 for the center spindle. Pat

If you do the investigating and the shaft out of a 42" deck off a 3414 will fit you can have it for $20 plus shipping.

I just bought an arbor shaft 2weeks ago around 29 dollars if I remember correctly from the dealer. John

i got price for complete assembly due to fact i did'nt have one on my deck when i recieved it..center and right ones are there thou

Landis Welcome to the club No it is not exclusive to the 6211. You will get more answers and more help if you start a new thread with your questions