Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

Ordered a SuperTrapp Muffler from Jack's

Brent_Baumer
Well, sold a few more parts recently and decided to blow the proceeds on a SuperTrapp muffler, or Model 5S, 6" resonator as they call it, from Jacks Small Engines. About $140 total. Ordered via the web over the weekend. Hoped to get it this week so I brought home the sound meter from work so I would have test results for you-all. No muffler yet. Called Jacks to get status. 2 of the 3 parts are in stock, but the 3rd is on back order. Bummer. The nice lady on the phone said they currently have 30 mufflers on backorder and don't expect to get them in for a month. I was at least glad to know my order confirmation number was good and they had my order on the computer. I was a bit worried due to all the bad pub Jack's has gotten on here. Hope it is as quiet as they claim. I'll keep you posted. Brent

jkmustang1
I need a tractor first befor I worry about a $140 muffler LOL. It will be interesting to see it and what your sound findings are.

KSever
On the subject of mufflers. Saw this picture of this motor on one of UCD's Ebay ads. Do you think this muffler on the Briggs engine makes it any quieter than the original muffler? I thought about doing this. [img]http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_6d6ace917866f7c396dd434470c9b36d/i-1.JPG[/img]

djarvis949
Brent, JLG & Genie both use the 'SuperTrap' mufflers on some of their boomlifts, they are quiet, but the center bolt will loosen up after time and then they rattle. The nut that holds the thing together is a staked locknut that does a pretty good job of messing up the threads when you remove it. You can rethread the bolt and then double locknut it back together. Also, if the muffler is outside, we have had freezing rain coat them with ice preventing the engine from breathing and not starting cold(cover them with an old coffee can when parked outside). Don

Les
Has anybody heard how Jack is doing? Last time I heard from him I was worried about his health.

poolshark
i have been wanting to buy a super trapp exaust for quite awile, mainly for fire hazzard reasons, and to quiet down the big ten, please post when youve got it and tried it out.

MadMike
I look forward to "hearing" your review of the Super Trap also. MadMike

JonetteP
Hi all, another good muffler is an IMCO cm-43. We have sold a couple for old golf carts that use the 12 hp kohler, and one for a small generator.