Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Les

Hydro Filter

Les
On my 7119 hydro, new style trans, with the filter on the top left of the trans viewed from the rear of the tractor, I am using a Simp part #1671234 trans filter(short), it had a micron rating on it but it has been rubbed off. Filter has been on the tractor for about 3 years. Now I am having hydro problems, is this the right filter or should I be using the medium length filter?

BLT
Les, my guess is that the short filter will not give you a longer change period, being that there is less filter media. If the ports are the same size, the flow should be the same and my guess would be the micron rating is also the same. I did read somewhere that that a dirty filter could cause a system to get 'cranky' so to speak. If your fluid looks like new and it is clear looking, your filter is doing its job. If it is cloudy looking you might have some moisture that got in. My $.02 worth.