Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow Blower performance

Fred

I have an A/C 720 and have recently found a used blower, cobbled/scavenged/made all the parts necessary to connect it to my tractor. I had trouble lifting with the front hyrdo lift until I added washers to increase spring tension in the hydro pressure regulator. Now my problem is the blower itself. It spins great, but has no power to blow snow. The auger seems to bog and stall almost immediately when blowing. Is the blower just marginal anyway, or can I up the auger torque in a way similar to increasing pressure to the lift cylinder?

Ed,
It sounds like your auger shear bolts are just that, sheared! Most blowers have a shear bolt connecting each half of the auger to the auger shaft. As they are a protective device, use exact-replacement parts. Some blowers also have a shear bolt in the input shaft to the gearbox.
I'm not very familiar with the 720's blower, so if that's not the problem come on back and have somebody smarter than I help you.
Fred

Ed, Is the blower an AC or Simplicity? You mentioned the tractor won't lift it, if it's an original equipment lifting shouldn't be any problem for the designed pressure setting of the hydraulics. If it is an AC or Simp. blower check the chain drive to the auger on the l. side of blower, you could have a sheared key and the sprocket is spinning on the shaft to the auger. If it's not an AC or Simp. blower then it's not compatable with your hydro lift or pto drive ratio. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth! dlc

The blower is a Simplicity. The problem with the lift was the hydro pressure regulator spring was worn, which prevented adequate pressure to the lift cylinder. I am curious if a similar problem in the hydro PTO could be preventing adequate power to the auger. I will check the shear pins and keys, though. Thanks for the 1 1/2 cents.

Fred, thanks for the input. I will check the shear bolts. Next reply also said to look for shear keys on chain drive sprocket. Guess I have my work cut out for a while.

I haven't checked these out yet, but I am assuming that it is a two stage blower, and answering on that assumption.

Do you have a close tolerance between the impellor and it's housing? My walk behind (please don't shoot) Sears 10 horse never threw the snow very well until I got to looking at the space between the impellor and housing. I made adjustable aluminum plates and mounted them to the impeller blades adjusted up to where they almost rubbed the housing. Throws that snow 50+ feet now.