Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simplicity707

yeoman 616 story

simplicity707
guys, just wanted to tell you all that I found a Simplicity Yeoman 616 at the Iola Wisconsin car show. I saw it from a distance and went up to look at it, and sure enough it was one:D!! I asked how much (the dreaded question) and he said $25.00 . I asked them if they would hold it while i asked my grandpa if we had room to haul it. he said no we didn't so I told them i'm not interested. I thought i'd go back down a few hours later to see if it had sold and it was still sitting there. They said if I took it then, i could take it for $20.00. I said SOLD 'cause a bit later my grandpa said his friend could haul it for me. We pushed it to my grandpa's swap space and I tinkered with it there. I got it to run for about 10-12 seconds. It's got old gas in it, so I think that's half it's problem. Does anybody have any tips on getting this 8hp engine going again? I'm gonna fix this one up and mow with it rather than mowing with my restored broadmoor 707. that's the highlight of my weekend. thought i'd pass that along. thanx,,dave p.

papamerkle
Dave Glad to see another 15 year old working on/saving another Yeoman.Here are a few suggestions;8D^ 1. Get rid of the old gas in tank, fuel line, and carb.Mark sure there is no rust in tank and carb. 2. Install a new fuel filter. 3. Clean/replace airfilter. 4. Install a new spark plug.(If motor has points and condensor-change them) 5. Pull all covers off motor-clean all fins around motor. 6. Change motor oil. 7. Remove head-clean carbon in head. 8. Most Important: HAVE FUN WITH YOUR YOEMAN.;)8D I have 2 Yoemans: a 616 and a 627. 627 does not run. It will be a good trouble-shooting project for my 15 year old. Let me know how you 616 project turns out.

MikeG
Dave, Maybe you remember me at the show, I talked to you about the time you were loading your Yeoman, I also own a 616 without the electric start. I think you got an excellent tractor for your money, it should be a great addition to your collection you have started. I ended up buying that old Bolens 600 that was near your stall, but it needs alot more work than your Yeoman. Good luck with your new find. MikeG

simplicity707
MikeG, So that was you at Iola? what a small world!! I'm sorry that I had to cut our talk short, but my grandpas friend was on my case to get it loaded up so I had to get going. It was nice to talk to someone else who has Simplicities up there. I thought that I was the only up there with one! Does that Bolens run? I looked at it a few times, but I decided on the Simplicity. I don't have it at my house yet because the guy who hauled it took it to where he live, so my grandpa has to take me to go and get it this week. It was nice talking to you up there and here,, Thanx again,,dave p.

simplicity707
Last night my dad and I worked on the Yeoman and we got it going allright. I drove it all last night and all this morning. It drives like a dream EXCEPT theres one problem. It grinds like crazy when you start it and put it into gear, but when your're driving it and stop and shift really fast from rev. to hi it don't grind. Anybody know what to do? Thanx,,dave p.

johnmonkey
Congrats on your new tractor! Make sure that you have a simplicity drive belt and that the belt stops are in place because they hold everything still so that the gears won't grind. JH

Ive been mowing all summer with a little 616 Dave and it is really a hoot, half toy/half tractor. Though the swath is small, it sure does a great job. I start out by shifting in low rpms and it dont hardly grind at all. I had to go through the whole fuel system and stretched the carb screw springs (Herb) as the adjustment would go out...after that she ran like a scalded dog...lotta fun to mow with over 30 years old...just about everything on that tractor is adjustable, steering, front end, clutch/brake, and keep it greased. I putzed around with the blades and put a barbors edge on them, yard looks like a golf course. Doug [img]/club2/attach/Dougm/dougsyoeman.jpg[/img]

MPH
Dave, I think thats great. Sure hope grandpa see the value in your hobbie..MPH

jrichason
I have the same grinding problem with my Yeoman. I'm going to replace the drive belt with a OEM when I get a chance. I'm sure you have all heard people say that you should always learn to drive in a car with a stick. Well, my first tractor was my 7116H. I agree that the Yeoman does a nice job cutting, but I sure have a hard time finding a comfortable speed. 1st is way to slow and 2nd is too fast on my hill. I guess the hydro has spoiled me.

papamerkle
Did you check brake band on left side of trans? Band may need replaced or adjusted. I almost eliminate all grinding noise when shifting gears in my 616.

Drigon
Hello, also in Austria a Yeoman 648 mower's. I wish you many beautiful grant with your tractor. The Yeoman is a very reliable and efficient tractor. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/drigon/648_links.jpg[/img] ;)

simplicity707
thanx guys for all of the replys!!! I got to looking and I noticed that the lift arm is the only piece missing off of that tractor. I guess I didn't notice that in all of my excitement over it!! We got it running, but I think it needs a carb. kit to really mow grass. I don't know about the shut-off valve. I still don't know how to do it. I still put around the yard anywhere from 2-3 hours at a time. I'll bet the neighbors really like that! I'm just glad we have a long driveway so I can go up and down it over and over!! Really makes the experience more fun. thanx,,