Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

Help - Briggs 101 - Seals & Bearings?

PhanDad
The engine in question is a model 301431, type 0131-01. I'm planing on replacing the electric clutch on my Homelite T12, so I figure while the clutch is off, I'd replace the front oil seal and maybe the crank bearing. And if I'm going to replace one set, I should also replace the other "backside" set. The seals and bearings are original, so they're 30+ years old. I've never "opened" the engine nor pulled the flywheel - the deepest I've been into the engine was to replace the armature assembly. Based on the attached parts diagrams, it looks like the seals could be pried off and replaced with both the electric clutch and flywheel off. The bearings are another story. There are allot more parts inside the engine than I expected, due to the governor being mechanical I suppose. Is there a Briggs repair manual available online somewhere? I searched the Briggs and Stratton site, and can only find reference to an old "antique engine" repair manual that MAY cover the engine. Any recommended "engine repair 101" books for this vintage Briggs? Are there any threads that cover seal and bearing replacement on this site? (I couldn't find any) I've got a bunch of questions, such as: 1) Is crank key #24 for the flywheel or for the gear that's inside cover assembly #749 (or both)? Or is the flywheel screwed on? (I wouldn't think so, but if key #24 is for the flywheel, what's the purpose of the gear free floating on the crank?) 2) What sets the axial location of the crank? What takes the axial thrust? Does support assembly #571 bolt to the backside of the block? Is the front bearing held into cover assembly #18 somehow? 3) Is changing the seals enough? There is oil weepage from the crank; when I replaced the armature assembly several years ago, the blower housing was full of oily grass, dirt, etc. 4) Is seal and/or bearing replacement a trained technican job? Thanks for your help and opinions. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/PhanDad/BriggsSeals.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/PhanDad/BriggsCrank.JPG[/img] I can't find a way to get the diagrams to appear in the post; they are viewable from the site by right clicking on them and selecting "Open Link"; never had this problem before. :(

PatRarick
Seal replacement is easy and can be done as you suggest - pry out the old seal and tap in the new one. Just need to be careful that you don't damage the sealing surfaces on the engine covers or the crankshaft. The bearings are a "press fit" on the crankshaft. If they simply slide off, the crankshaft or bearing is worn. It is a detailed repair, but not a difficult one. The crankshaft will have to be removed, however. The "antique" engine repair manual WILL cover your engine. As to your question number one, the #24 key is for the flywheel. The flywheel does not screw on. It is held in place by the large nut in the center. The key locates the flywheel for proper ignition timing. Question number 2 - The axial movement of the crankshaft (end play), is adjusted by shim gaskets between the block and the cover, #18. Number 571 bolts to the block. The bearing is a "slip fit" into the cover, #18 Question number 3- Changing seals MAY be enough. If there is any lateral motion in the crankshaft, the bearings need replacement. As far as oil leakage under the blower housing, that could come from the seal, the gasket #88, from around a loose bolt in cover #749, or a bad seal on the plug gasket, #751. The seals could even be good. A partially plugged breather could build up enough crankcase pressure to force oil out of a good seal. Question number 4 - Replacing the seals is an easy job. Replacing the bearings is not a trained technician job, but experience does help. Pat