Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Finnaly purchaced a new walk behind mower

Nick

Well, thank you all for your recommendations, We ended up purchasing a TORO Personal Pace® Recycler 22" 6.5 HP Mower, From a local dealer for the price of $359.95, taxes were $27.00 making a grand total of $386.95. There is a $20.00 mail in rebate, so we really only paid 366.95. It was 95¢ more then the Home Depot but who cares, At least it was assembled, And I didn't have to put it together myself. I was talking to the dealer and he said, (I believe him knowing him for a long time) That TORO makes their mowers of cheaper quality for Home Depot, as do other brands. He sells ECHO, weedwhackers too, and told me a customer brought in a weedwhacker, that the engine ran, but the shaft refused to turn, He said to him, that he must have bought it at HD, as he has had the same type of problems with them, but hasn't got a single one that was sold by a dealer! He said in a side by side comparison of the two mowers, Same model as mine being sold at HD, doing the same mowing, he would guarantee that the HD model would break down, before the dealer one would. It takes while to get used to pushing down on the handle, and I noticed to get it to 4.8 MPH, you have to hold the side of the handle, and push down on the bar, which creates an uneven cut, and not a straight line. I doubt I'll need to go that fast. I like how it's light, (Weighs 81 lb.) so if you don't want to use the self propelled feature, It's easy to maneuver. It seems to use a lot of gas, The 1971, 3.5 B&S was able to cut a little over a 1/2 acre before running out. This one uses a little over 1/4 before running out. The gas tank seems to be the same size, as the 3.5. All in all, so far I am happy with it. Here is the TORO link for my mower. [url]http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/recycler/20017.html[/url]

Congrats on your new purchase! I am sure you will get years of use out of that Toro.
quote:
It takes while to get used to pushing down on the handle, and I noticed to get it to 4.8 MPH, you have to hold the side of the handle, and push down on the bar, which creates an uneven cut, and not a straight line.
I'd ask the dealer about this as it sounds like it may need an adjustment. I also noticed that my Toro uses more gas than others, I always attributed it to the weight and drive mechanism. Figured it was a worthwhile tradeoff. 8D

Good choice ^ The girlfriend has the same thing and it is easy to operate. I use it once in awhile :(to go around the trees but prefer the 9020 :Dto mow with. 60" verses 22" . She usually trims and I mow and we're done in no time^. The gas consumption should get better I would think ? It should last you for years with normal maintenance ^:);)

I bought the same mower a year or so ago and love it. It is very easy to work with and does a great job cutting. I have the GTS (Guaranteed to Start) system and let me tell you it works. In the spring i take it out and within 3 pulls its going. Congrats on the new purchase

I asked the dealer today about the drive, he said it mainly cut uneven due to the fact I was cutting at 4.8 mph, and probably the unevenness of the lawn I believe using it that fast is unnecessary, as if you needed to cut that fast you would be using a tractor.