Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
stumpy

B-112 as a fire suppression tool?

stumpy
Greetings from smoky-central, Somehow I don't thing my "B" is quite up to the task of fire-fighting. A D7 Cat works a bit better....along with a couple of air tankers and eight or nine choppers we have working at the moment. My place is in the middle of the restricted/evac zone of the "Middle Fork Fire" in Washington State. We're up to about 2,000 acres at the moment. The wind quit and conditions have improved quite a bit today...gone from uncontrolled to 30% containment. I'm supposed to be a BLM archaeologist, but am also fire "red-carded" as a resource advisor this time of year, and was drafted for wildfire duty Friday night...not bad with the added incentive of my home being in the burn-path <G>. On the other hand, I was messing about last week and grubbed-out a bunch of vegetation down to bare earth with the AC....good ol' girl that she is. This proved provident, since I didn't have time to get much of my stuff out...parked the tractors in the middle of the bare ground and covered 'em with some metal roofing just in case...safer there then in the shop I think...if not, I'll have an excuse to get a few more tractors <G>! Well..gotta go...I'm at the fire incident command center...amazing how things are hi-tech wired and mobile these days. Managed to get an hour off to check my mail and such. One thing...for those members in the arid west (and everywhere else, for that matter). Please be careful when out and about in rural or wooded areas...this fire was apparently set on purpose at three different points with fireworks. We've had several similarly-set wildfires in this region over the last few weeks, and a few others started in a more accidental fashion. If you live in a dry area, be mighty careful with exhasts, torchers, welders, etc. I'm sure most of the folks here are already careful and aware. See ya,

UCD
Stay Safe Bob

gregc
What Maynard said. I hope all goes as well as can be.

stumpy
Thanks fellas. Amazing how a little change in the weather can help get things under control. Still a few hot spots but no structural damage or injuries on this one...only a bit over a million bucks to get things under control, at least up until this point. Arson is expensive, and that doesn't count timber and environmental damage. Didn't lose my little tractors on this one anyway.

roma3112
good luck I hope things out in those parts work out better than planned for you folks. STAY SAFE JOHN B

HubbardRA
Glad you came out alright. I've fought forest fires before. Gets scary when it is in your backyard. We lived in the country in a very wooded setting. Nice place. But during a fire you soon realize that all those beautiful trees that you have will provide a fire path straight to your home. Also the leaves and the underbrush in the adjacent woods.

MPH
Glad to here you guys whipped that one Bob. I know the the feeling well living surrounder by old spruce and moss. Nearest woods to my house are now about 60 feet. Had a fire about 1/4 mile north of me 2 years ago, think I posted pics here, made me rethink the 'valve' of being nestled in the woods. Though its pretty light wt, that little ag/fab disk I picked up does cut though this spagnum moss with enough play time, would like to do my entire property line but the moss has been so dry this year there is too much gamble of a spark from the muffler setting the place ablaze to mess with it. Been like walking on popcorn in the woods...MPH