Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
UCD

725 Cyclopes

UCD
A while ago there was a question about the 725 with one head light as beeing original as no one could find a factory picture with one head light. Last night while downloading some manuals I found this which should answer that Question.

Kent
I had a rough old Allis B-1 (I've since traded it) that also had the remains of a single headlight mounted on the hood. The bottom of the bracket was there, but the headlight itself was long gone...

HubbardRA
My 61 Wards has a plug in the headlight mounting hole. Also look at the picture of the red tractor at the very top of this page. Also a Cyclops. Is that the 725 you are referring to?

thedaddycat
I checked and this is what I found on my three oldies.... The parts 725 had a light(not OEM) mounted in the middle of the hood. It also had the hole for the OEM light to mount in.

The other 725 has a plug in the hole. Note that the hole is in the slanted front part of the hood, not on the top.

The Putt Putt also has two holes, but this light is mounted in the correct hole. It does not have the mounting bracket though.

In this link to the 1959 page, the Model 700 tractor in the top right pic of the gang mower looks like it has front and rear lights on it... http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1959/more_attachments.htm And here's a link to the 1963 pages, with at lease half a dozen pics showing the Cyclops light out front on a 725. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1963/model_725.htm

MPH
So Kirk, when you gonna put a seat on Putt Putt? Cracks me up every time you post pics of her..MPH

thedaddycat
When the kids get big enough to reach the brake pedal or I get their tractor running... It's the 725 in the middle, also with no seat...... LOL

thedaddycat
OK Marty, If the Putt Putt with no seat gave you a laugh, this should be a real hoot!!! No it's not bolted down, thoiugh the holes are very close...

DanBov
How about sawing the legs off that mickey mouse chair and slappin that one on ...

SmilinSam
You know Kirk, When I walk out of the house wearing clothes with that kind of color coordination my wife refuses to be seen with me.....[V]

PatRarick
Sam, I take it that you have a problem with New Holland, Versatile, Massey-Harris, and Cockshutt? Pat

MPH
Gee Kirk, sure hope you don't paint putt-putt green to match that seat...MPH

Agricola
Help me, what is the model number for the 725? I am trying to find the manual. I tried 990725 at the Simplicity site but that didn't come up with what I want. BTW, is there a place I can get a replacement throttle? My plastic is broken.

Agricola
Ooops, I think I might have lied, I think, after reading more here, that I have a 700. I will have to check the steering column yet. But what is the number I need to find the manual?

gregc
John, Take a look at this page: http://www.simpletractors.com/made_when/1957-1964.htm

thedaddycat
I looked at one of my manuals, crossed it to the linked chart, and gleaned some more information..... The reference is the 7000 Repair Manual(TP-503A), and it comes as a 3-book set. On the cover it lists all the models covered. Under the Landlord section it starts at the Model 700. The MFG. Nos. for the 700 are 990168 and 990169 for (I believe) the manual and electric start. There are four MFG. Nos. for the Model 725. The first two, 990232 and 990235 are for the early 725 with the two section seat and correspond to 1961 tractors. The other two MFG. Nos. are 990269 and 990270 and correspond to the pan seat tractors. Again, I think they are manual and electric start models but I may be wrong. I have seen other instances where the difference in MFG. Nos. is the hydro lift. For example, the 2012 is 990399 without the hydro lift and 990400 with hydro lift.

Agricola
Thank you for the quick response. I have found the manuals with your help.

ReedS
Both of the 700 hoods that I have have the hole in center like Kirk's. My original 700 has long been missing the cyclops due to (I think) a roll over way back when. I'd love to find the right light to mount in the right place when I finish the resto, in fact on my way home from the grocery store tonight I saw an early red Simplicity with a single on the hood. I wonder if it might be for sale.......:D8D

Kent
Reed, No fair. I saw that one Sunday and "peed" on his stone fence to mark my territory... :D Kent

Bunky
Yes I have seen these holes in the hoods too, But always thought someone had put them there ... Never thought they might be original.....

ReedS
Geez Kent I'm thinking that this town's getting too small...... One of us is going to have to leave.......[:0];):p Had't really ventured to find out if it could be bought, looks like a real workhorse though. Wonder if they know about the club? Maybe we'll see it at Tractor night tommorrow, if the weather holds!