Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Allis_B12

Advice needed for restoration

Allis_B12
Hello everybody, I'm planning on taking my B-12 apart to clean and repaint it within the next week or two. This is my first paint job on a tractor, so I really need advice on prep work, spraying techniques, and selecting paint. I'm more concerned about painting the engine, S/G, and other running gear-that's where I'll need the most help. Thank you to anybody who can offer suggestions. Joel

Tom_Byrne
OK, Heres what I started with, to give you a guide. I powerwashed and de-greased everything first. Then I took apart most of the tractor, minus the BGB, engine, and dash. Sanded or wire brushed EVERYTHING. I used lots of tape and newspaper to cover for different colors. Prime everything. I Used High Temp Paint on engine and BGB. I also covered my decals to save them(they were in great condition). I used Allis Chalmers Orange(they make a yellow also)from Ace Hardware on mine. It's a little thin and tends to run but if you are careful the finish is great. Lots of thin coats works best. For the white I used Rustoleum Bright White. It worked for me. Check this link for before/after. GOOD LUCK!:Dhttp://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17226

Agricola
Thanks for the tips Tom. It will sure be helping me as I do my Landlord.

SmilinSam
I use dawn dish soap to wash & scrub the oil & grease off everything and then rinse with clean water prior to painting..

Allis_B12
Thanks for the tips, guys. Does anyone use a liquid paint stripper before priming?

mspencer
I wouldn't use a liquid stripper at all on a metal project. rogh sanding with a 600 to 1000 grit sand paper after cleaning and degereasing starts the painting process. primer with a good sealer primer. use the 1000 grit to level any areas you got too thick or run. then apply your color coat in very thin layers waiting about 5 to 10 minuts between coats depending on the humidity level in the air. Painting on rainy days is not a good idea. this advice is asuming you are using the Ace paint from aerosol cans.