Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New filter no help on 4040/ UPDATE

MPH

Put the new hydro filter, Baldwin B 163, on the 4040 today and still have the same low readings of a short 50 lbs for charge pump relief test and almost 200lbs for impl relief valve. Any where else to look problems besides the charge pump???? Thanks...MPH

Marty, It seems from your last discussion that you have already checked out the relief valves. Did you change the hydro oil? It may be too cold for it to work well in Alaska (at least during winter) but you may want to try using hydraulic oil instead of the recommended transmission fluid. It is a little thicker but can help sometimes. If they are bad enough you could try 30w motor oil.

Thanks Butch, you say if they are bad enough,,what would be bad in them, assuming mean the relief valves?? the surfaces are smooth looking, the seat I can't see of course. Can the springs be weak?? I did put new ATF last winter...Looking at the parts breakdown I only see one O ring that looks to serve as a seal between the pump and the rest of the body. The front seal leaks on it some but it must run quite a while to amount to much in the bottom pan..MPH

Called SLI this morning ready to bite the bullet and order a pump. Bill convince me to try shimming the relief valves first. Unable to find washers that small at Local NAPA I put a small O ring behind the shim that was there, I now have 75 lbs charge relief presure and 550 implement relief valve. O ring is about a thick as 5 shims, hmmm seems like a lot. Seal is leaking more with the increase in presure but I was expecting that. Forr the first time since I've had it it will now lift the rear tires off the ground. I'll enjoy it while it lasts..MPH

This is the real LewS. Some clown has been posting silly messages using my user name. I want everyone to know these messages have not come from me.

LewS New Member USA 12 Posts Posted - 07/15/2003 : 20:28:07 I posted, I posted, I posted yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh User's IP address: 67.24.175.180 LewS New Member USA 12 Posts Posted - 07/19/2003 : 01:26:00 This is the real LewS. Some clown has been posting silly messages using my user name. I want everyone to know these messages have not come from me. User's IP address: 67.24.174.106 It must be from a computer that you used to sign on here as the cookies are set to sign you in and do you give out your pass word