Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Scotmo

A Fair Price

Scotmo
What kind of price can I expect to pay a reputable dealer to rebuild the mechanics (no paint) of a Simplicity 48" mower deck.(worst case)Im just trying to get a ball park idea. Thanks in advance Scot

alanscott
That sounds a bit scary, have you considered replacing it with a good used unit?

HubbardRA
If he puts in the complete arbor kits for all three shafts, I'm guessing $300 to $350. I just bought the six bearings alone and that cost $48. I'm going to do mine myself. It is also a 48".

Dutch
If I had a well worn deck that needed a complete rebuild, and told the dealer, "Make it like new," I'd expect to pay somewhere around $1,000. When I do a routine rebuild of a deck for myself, parts usually run a few hundred dollars. Typical parts are: blades $50 - bearings $60 - belts $50 - rollers $60 - misc. springs, bushings & hardware $50. If I encounter worn arbor or roller shafts, those are $25 - $50 each. I'd expect the dealer to charge me $500 for parts. A complete deck R&R can take several hours. Subborn bolts, bearings, or straightening a bent deck can take several more hours. At an average labor rate of $50 per hour, I'd expect the dealer to charge me $400 for 8 hours labor. Add sales tax, and maybe some shipping or other costs, and thats $1,000. Of course, if the deck shell or other major component needs to be replaced, that could add hundreds more. How much was/is the dealer's estimate?

Kent
I paid a dealer $230 (parts and labor) just to rebuild the three arbors in a 42" deck almost 5 years ago... He had to also replace the two outside pulleys -- they were ruined getting them off the arbor shafts. I ruined one trying to do it myself, and he ruined the other one.... I took the arbors out and took them in with the pulleys still on them....

Scotmo
Thanks everyone for your input. New arbors,bearings and blades and one pulley and a few misc parts (washers and such)installed $268 . I pick it up in about a week. Thanks again....Scot