Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dadsy98

5 Minute muffler job

Dadsy98
The old tin muffler blew itself apart a few days ago. I have a Harley muffler I planned to use. This morning I decided to do it. Three items: A can PB Blaster, propane torch, and a 36" monkey wrench.

About five minutes later I'm all done :)

Dadsy98
I just finished mowing the front yard as a test of the new muffler. Strange, now I hear the sounds of bearings, gears, belts. I will need to get some locking nuts for the pipe fittings. also the hose clamp didn't work well to hold the muffler snug to the pipe. I scrounged around a heavy muffler clamp and it's solid now. Bob, my son said I needed more chrome too! Maynard, the ringer washer is a working unit so Janet probably will say she uses it. I'll work on her for ya. [:0] Steve

HubbardRA
Steve, I have used several vertical stack mufflers. I have found that it is almost always necessary to put a diagonal brace on a large long muffler to prevent it from working loose.

Leroy
One idea to reduce or remove the lever action would be to replace the street elbow with a tee. Go from the tee to the frame flatten the one end congreunt to the frame. Drill it in place and bolt it down with two or more apropreate fasteners and lock washers. If your concerned with exhaust leakage weld the end shut after flatening or use jb weld. Then remember not to test for thermal properties of the exhaust pipe after mowing, useing the palm of your hand.

Nick
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Paint it purple. One eyed One horned flying purple grass eater. Is the old ringer washer for sale? My wife wants it.
Maynard, I wish I started posting here a year ago, I could have got you for free, a 20 year old Maytag wringer washer, (that's around the time they stopped making them) that needed a new motor. Neighbors grandmother died, and were getting rid of things.

MPH
Does that old maytag have the 2 cycle gas motor?? Tried buying one in Fairbanks a month or so ago and the guy was insulted at my 100 dollar bill. Maybe cuz I didn't think his one section of Harrow with 1/4 of the teeth missing was worth 100 bucks. MPH