Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trigger Zero- Points 1

johnmonkey

My 1963 MW gardenmark (SIMP 725) started missing yesterday. Today I went out and bought the "electronic ignition" Briggs and Stratton part # 5025 I placed it where the points are located and hooked up the wires and no fire. I tried it several different ways and no luck. I cleaned up the points and re-gapped them and Houston we have ignition. I looked up the picture that Dutch posted and it is slightly out of focus but the best I could tell the electronic ignition kit I have is the wrong one. I will now look up the part at Jacks small engine and see what they have and go from there. Any help would be appreciated. John H OOPS guess what I should have looked before I leaped. I looked up the part at Jacks and I bought the "electronic (magnetron) ignition kit" and not the "universal electronic ignition module". Injust placed an order for two of the latter. JH

Let me know if this one works, John. I may put one on the 13 Hp B/S that you gave me. If I could get some time away from "Honey Do's", and it wasn't so hot in my garage, I would get the engine started. Still have to do the wiring and "Hack" together a gas tank. You don't have the one from the T13 lying around do you? The one from the 410 was too large to fit in the 700 chassis. Guess I'll rig up a Murray tank on it.

Rod, the universal module works fine for me. I have it on a 7010-6 for over ten years now. I plan to put it on my 3112H (now 16HP) whenever it decides not to spark. I have a couple of spare ones now in my tool box. I built up some rototiller engines for my sons and when some Magetron coils became available from scrapped out lawnmowers, I converted the rototiller engines to that so, now I have spares. I might be a one man band but I am sold on them so far.

Rod, no I don"t have a spare tank, I used the one from the t-13S for my 3410 because the 3410 was missing the tank. TTYL, Jh

I had an old Coast to Coast Hwre Mower (MTD) 10 years ago. The engine developed a flutter that I couldn't adjust out. I spoke to an aquaintance that ran a repair shop and he told me that the top of the case on the vertical engine was worn and it was letting the crank move which was changing constantly changing the point setting. I got a electronic module that fit between two legs of the mag and replaced the points. That repair smoothed the old tired motor out and I used it till. . .it quit and I was sick of it. QUESTION, I need a tank for my Big Ten. New replacement tanks are just not available?

Thanks John, Just thought you might have an extra. Both of my 700 series tractors will have jury rigged tanks. Can't see paying new price for one. I will just have a useless hole in the hood. Think I will make an aluminum plug for it. That will look different.

Dale, I think those tanks are available new at around $100 Rod, an electrical supply store would have a "snap in" plug for plugging holes in electrical panel boxes...

Dan, I thought I had a tank that would fit through the hole, but it didn't. I'm not willing to spend the amount of money to buy a new tank, when I have several odd ball plastic tanks sitting around. If I had been thinking, I would have closed and bondoed up the hole when i was doing the hood. I have a piece of aluminum, and I think I will make a plug that looks a little like an aluminum gas cap. This way it can be easily removed if I find a suitable tank.