Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

yellow question (dont kick me out please)

rokon2813

I have 2 Cub Cadet Hydros in the shop (they are Not mine). Both are not very old and in decent shape, but the hydros seem to need a rebuild. They are slower than they should be going forward and one doesnt always wanna back up. Our 2 local Cub dealers both say this tranny has this problem. They will rebuild them for about 500 each but also say with all new parts they probably still wont work right. Cub Cadet in thier infinate wisdom built this tranny without a filter. Any suggestions anyone??? Both units are in too good condition to junk them so what other option is there?? By the way, one of the dealers said if I find someone who can rebuild these successfully he will give them all the business they want.

It is probably a peerless hydro. My mother`s cub cadet had this same problem and the dealer told her the same thing they told you. Her`s was a peerless transmission. I think that the hydro was around $500.00 new. Ray

eBay has several hydro units available. I'm confused, is this just the newer Cub Cadets? I know the older ones all have filters on the hydro units and didn't realize that they had cheapened them so much. Just wondering because a friend and I are in the process of deciding whether or not it is possible to convert his Low Boy to hydro using an older unit out of a Cadet. The rear housings match and it looks like his reduction geared axles will bolt right on. He had a late 60s Cadet Hydro that he beat silly and never had any problems with the hydro.

Check with the Surplus Center 1-800-488-3407,they will send a free catalog and carry all kinds of stuff including hydrostatic trasmissions.

Ismael these 2 are around 1989 90 91 or so. models 1320 and 1330. The older hydros were great, at least the shaft drive models were. The really new ones seem ok too. My mother has a 99 and hasnt had any problems with it yet but it has a filter too. Kevin, I'll check on the surplus but I cant see putting a $400 or $500 tranny in a machine thats only worth $500 or $600 when its done. They belong to my father and he already has $400 plus in each one. One even has a brand new deck pan at $275 on it. We are considering parting them out, depending on what I can get for the engines. They both have 12 1/2 hp Kohler Command motors. I also considered converting them over to 5 speed transaxles but I dont know how much work it would be to get a clutch system into them.

I have one of those yellow tractors also. (It came with the house, honest :D ) It is a Model 1440 early 90's vintage. The 14 hp briggs v-twin is ok, but it suffers the same hydro problem. Got the same story from the dealer. Thes models were offered as a low end so they cheapped out the hydro. Been trying to get my 718H up and running to use as the mowing tractor then I will try to find a buyer with a small flat lot for the Cub Cadet (MTD built)

Ahhh these are the MTD Cadets then? That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the info, looks like we will be doing the hydro swap. Rob