Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RodStayner

Simplicity 4040 - problem (no spark)

RodStayner
I purchased a 4040 yesterday (serial # 705 001948) from a guy who just sat it out by the road with a sign on it. It is in good shape, with rear 3 pt, rear pto, and I believe a 60" deck. The tractor has never sat outside, and for $900 I thought it was a bargain! It does have some issues....after taking a good look at it yesterday with my father in law, we found that one of the cylinders is not firing. It has no spark, and we're trying to figure out what the problem might be. Someone has put some non-OEM plug wires on it, but anyone have any ideas on what we should look for? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'd also like to find out the year. I am hoping that it is an electrical issue instead of a mechanical one! Thanks- Rodney Stayner

MPH
Rod, does it run at all now?? Do a compression test on both cyl., if thier close to the same you should be runnable mechanically..If one side of the coil is sparking, put that wire in the other side and check for spark. Get a set of OEM wires for sure. You scored a mighty fine machine for a REAL good price so don't give up easy. Put several hours on mine yeasterday pulling stumps outta my fire break with my daughters operating it, what a kick...Oh,,not sure but I think the 4040 was only made in '73, and upgraded to 4041 in '74...MPH

RodStayner
Yes--It does run. In fact, it ran well enough that I thought it was running on both cylinders and just needed the carb adjusted. I'll try checking that when I get home.