Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vintage Tractors

dogboy

Hello, i'm a new member, at what age does a tractor become an antique or vintage? I just bought my first one, its a Broadmoor, 990303, it has a 1964 engine which runs fine now---pile of parts 2 weeks ago, Don't realy have a use for it-- but i'll find some. thanks

Cars around here have to be 25 years old to qualify for antique plates. I'd say your tractor is an antique.

I wouldn't call my tractor an antique even if it was made in '64. I would call it a collectable or a vintage. To be a true antique I've always been told the object has to be 100 years old. That's what I've been told after collecting antiques for years.

I wonder about the antique status. My Dad's JD 140 still runs like a watch. I would have a hard time considering that an antique though I know it is. I guess I often consider it antique if it has some rust and someone spent time and money on getting it back to looking new.

I like to think of the 3300, 3400, 7000 series as not antique because they bear so many similarities to the soveriegn that mas made thru 2000. My B110 I feel is more antique looking although the 3400 series is still technically antique. -Chris

dogboy, i have four riding mowers. i consider them antiques because one is a simplicity broadmoor '64, simplicity broadmoor '67, simplicity yeoman '68?, allis chalmers b-208, don't know the year, but I consider them antiques. have fun with your broadmoor.

I have the 1961 Putt Putt that may be over 40 years old, but it's still a working tractor and I use it as such. And it kicks butt, too!!! lol

I Thought that that someone told me once that in cars after 25 years they were antique... but tractors I agree, in my opinion are collectables......

I think all the older Simp/AC's are antique or classic. I don't remember where I heard this, but "vintage" refers to a car, engine, or tractor manufactured around or before the 1930's. Like everybody above said, our tractors could be called "antique" or "classic" because they're over 25 years old.

Perhaps "functional antique" is a more apt descriptive term. When I'm looking at archaeological/historical sites in relation to eligibility for the National Register of Historic Places, the rule of thumb (not a hard and fast rule, however) to start with is an age of at least 50 years before present. Of course, that 50 years rule is open to interpretation and doesn't always apply, so if you figure a 40 year old tractor to be antique, so be it. My B-112 is just "the yellar thing that moves the snow around," regardless of age <G>.

With regards to tractors, an antique depends on who is driving it... :D A young adult of 15 sitting on a tractor twice his age would make the tractor look antique. ;) My putt putt is 2-3 years older than I am, but still gets used heavily (my only working tractor). A car 40 years of age is an antique. A piece of furniture 40 years of age is a hand-me-down. A Simp/AC of 40 years is just broken-in. :D

As long as you are using the tractor does it really matter if it is an antique? Many cars are considered antiques, but the owners never drive them. If a tractor is bearing used and worked all the better. An older working tractor full of dents and scratches is better than a fully restored one that is not used.

Another consideration is that in at least some states, you cannot use a "classic" or "antique" car tags on a "daily-driver." It's use is essentially limited to shows, rallies and/or "Sunday afternoon drives." If you're going to drive it regularly, you must buy regular plates, pay regular insurance rates on it, and pay road use taxes for it.... So, using that same logic, if your old tractor is for show, you could call it an antique or a classic or _________, but if you still use it to mow, blow snow, etc., it's just another tractor....