Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

trouble with Sunstar

swood

I am having trouble getting my sunstar to start, turns over great, gas to the carb, spark on the plug but no fire. I can take the air breather off and put my hand over the hole and it sometimes will start. even if it starts, it runs very rough when I engage the pto, I was thinking coil? Help please...

If you can put your hand over the intake and Choke it by hand and it will start that tells me it is in the carb. Gasket leaking air or throttle shaft worn. The carb needs to create a vacume to suck in gas if it is sucking air before the point of the needed vacume no gas is drawn in. By putting your hand over the throat of the carb you are creating the needed vacume to draw in the gas to get it started.

Are you absolutely sure your fuel pump is working. That was a similar problem with mine. New pump no problems.

Steve, I thought you had sold your Sunstar and loader combo. I think the other responses are on the right track. Wouldn't hurt to take apart the carb and "boil" it out in some parts cleaner. Could be something as simple as dirt in a jet or water in the bowl. Do you have a fuel filter on it? Also, using compressed air to blow out the fuel line back into the tank wouldn't hurt. Some gunk could be stuck in the fuel inlet of the tank. Also, have you tried to start it with the gas cap off?

I would check, in this order, fuel filter, fuel delivery, carb mounting gasket, intake manifold gaskets (spray carb cleaner on each of these gaskets, while cranking the engine with the choke closed), carburetor, head gaskets, and valves. Pat

thanks for all the help...going to try to take carb off today and clean out. hope it does the trick.